May 11, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
The Toronto Star published a glowing profile of Niagara IceDogs defenseman Dougie Hamilton today that’s sure to make Leafs fans feel fantastic.
In case you don’t follow junior hockey too closely, Hamilton led all OHL blue-liners with 72 points in 50 games during the regular season and was named the league’s most outstanding defenseman for his efforts. On top of that, the big 18-year-old, who isn’t afraid to drop the gloves either, has 23 points in 19 playoff games.
Of course, Hamilton is perhaps best known as one of the three players the Boston Bruins drafted with the proceeds from the Phil Kessel trade to Toronto. (Tyler Seguin and Jared Knight were the other two.)
“I think Dougie Hamilton is the best defenseman outside the NHL,” Dennis MacInnis, director of amateur scouting for International Scouting Service, told the Star. “He’s got a terrific future in Boston. Can you imagine him and Zdeno Chara on the point on the Bruins power play?”
No disrespect to Joe Corvo.
Well, some disrespect.
As for the Leafs’ angle, it’s actually unfair to say GM Brian Burke traded away Hamilton. After all, Kessel scored 32 goals in 2010-11. Without him, Toronto might’ve finished much lower than 22nd and ended up with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Gabriel Landeskog or Sean Couturier.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)