May 11, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
With their season hanging in the balance, the New York Rangers are leaning on a rookie.
Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it’s definitely something to take from today’s practice as rookie forward Chris Kreider skated on a second line with center Derek Stepan and team captain Ryan Callahan.
The Rangers are desperate for offense, especially at even strength. As such, they’re going back to the Kreider-Stepan-Callahan line that provided a huge spark in the Ottawa series.
The unit combined for six points in Games 6and 7 and were instrumental in getting New York into Round 2.
“We had a little bit of chemistry early on, from the first time we were together in Game 6 against Ottawa,” Stepan told the New York Post. “Both those guys move their legs and are really fast skaters, so we want to create space if we can through the neutral zone and create loose pucks in the offensive zone, where we can bury our opportunities.
“We have to find a way to use our bodies to free pucks and get to the net.”
“They’re very versatile, you can use them in any situation,” Kreider added. “Unbelievable all–around players, doesn’t really matter who you play them with. They have chemistry with everybody.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)