May 11, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
With their season hanging in the balance, the New York Rangers are leaning on a rookie.
Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it’s definitely something to take from today’s practice as rookie forward Chris Kreider skated on a second line with center Derek Stepan and team captain Ryan Callahan.
The Rangers are desperate for offense, especially at even strength. As such, they’re going back to the Kreider-Stepan-Callahan line that provided a huge spark in the Ottawa series.
The unit combined for six points in Games 6and 7 and were instrumental in getting New York into Round 2.
“We had a little bit of chemistry early on, from the first time we were together in Game 6 against Ottawa,” Stepan told the New York Post. “Both those guys move their legs and are really fast skaters, so we want to create space if we can through the neutral zone and create loose pucks in the offensive zone, where we can bury our opportunities.
“We have to find a way to use our bodies to free pucks and get to the net.”
“They’re very versatile, you can use them in any situation,” Kreider added. “Unbelievable all–around players, doesn’t really matter who you play them with. They have chemistry with everybody.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)