May 11, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t know who his opponent will be in the Eastern Conference Finals, but if it turns out to be the Washington Capitals and their coach Dale Hunter, he’ll be well prepared.
Although Hunter hasn’t been coaching in the NHL for very long, the two have a history that dates back to their days in the OHL.
DeBoer took over the Kitchener Rangers in 2001-02 while Hunter assumed control of the division rival London Knights that season. They coached those teams until DeBoer found work with the Florida Panthers in 2008-09.
“It was always an intense competition between the London Knights and the Kitchener Rangers,” DeBoer said in December. “We were in the same division, coaches in cities about an hour apart. Those battles at that level, especially when you’re coaching against a guy for six, seven, eight years they get pretty heated.”
DeBoer said the two coaches “an intense rivalry” at the time. That rivalry will be rekindled if the Washington Capitals defeat the New York Rangers in Game 7 on Saturday.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner