May 11, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t know who his opponent will be in the Eastern Conference Finals, but if it turns out to be the Washington Capitals and their coach Dale Hunter, he’ll be well prepared.
Although Hunter hasn’t been coaching in the NHL for very long, the two have a history that dates back to their days in the OHL.
DeBoer took over the Kitchener Rangers in 2001-02 while Hunter assumed control of the division rival London Knights that season. They coached those teams until DeBoer found work with the Florida Panthers in 2008-09.
“It was always an intense competition between the London Knights and the Kitchener Rangers,” DeBoer said in December. “We were in the same division, coaches in cities about an hour apart. Those battles at that level, especially when you’re coaching against a guy for six, seven, eight years they get pretty heated.”
DeBoer said the two coaches “an intense rivalry” at the time. That rivalry will be rekindled if the Washington Capitals defeat the New York Rangers in Game 7 on Saturday.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)