May 11, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this season we highlighted the New Jersey Devils’ award-winning Mission Control, a digital communications/social media initiative located inside the Prudential Center.
Well, it turns out Mission Control isn’t just about effectively managing, monitoring and measuring online brand engagements (and other corporate buzzterms like synergy and user-centric.)
Mission Control also saves dogs.
What’s the best example of how a brand has engaged with the team and its fans through the social space?
To choose one example would be very, very difficult but one example that may surprise you, sticks out in my mind. Of course we talk hockey, we talk concerts, we talk tickets but this one day we had a real life dilemma on our hands. Two stray puppies were found running around the loading dock area of the Prudential Center. A security guard grabbed them both and one of our people got the puppies right to a shelter.
Within 24 hours, Mission Control had broadcasted enough information to enough people and the puppies were picked up by their owner at the shelter. The power and reach of social media is just amazing!
To answer your question: Yeah, slow news day.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)