May 11, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this season we highlighted the New Jersey Devils’ award-winning Mission Control, a digital communications/social media initiative located inside the Prudential Center.
Well, it turns out Mission Control isn’t just about effectively managing, monitoring and measuring online brand engagements (and other corporate buzzterms like synergy and user-centric.)
Mission Control also saves dogs.
What’s the best example of how a brand has engaged with the team and its fans through the social space?
To choose one example would be very, very difficult but one example that may surprise you, sticks out in my mind. Of course we talk hockey, we talk concerts, we talk tickets but this one day we had a real life dilemma on our hands. Two stray puppies were found running around the loading dock area of the Prudential Center. A security guard grabbed them both and one of our people got the puppies right to a shelter.
Within 24 hours, Mission Control had broadcasted enough information to enough people and the puppies were picked up by their owner at the shelter. The power and reach of social media is just amazing!
To answer your question: Yeah, slow news day.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)