May 11, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this season we highlighted the New Jersey Devils’ award-winning Mission Control, a digital communications/social media initiative located inside the Prudential Center.
Well, it turns out Mission Control isn’t just about effectively managing, monitoring and measuring online brand engagements (and other corporate buzzterms like synergy and user-centric.)
Mission Control also saves dogs.
What’s the best example of how a brand has engaged with the team and its fans through the social space?
To choose one example would be very, very difficult but one example that may surprise you, sticks out in my mind. Of course we talk hockey, we talk concerts, we talk tickets but this one day we had a real life dilemma on our hands. Two stray puppies were found running around the loading dock area of the Prudential Center. A security guard grabbed them both and one of our people got the puppies right to a shelter.
Within 24 hours, Mission Control had broadcasted enough information to enough people and the puppies were picked up by their owner at the shelter. The power and reach of social media is just amazing!
To answer your question: Yeah, slow news day.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36