May 11, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this season we highlighted the New Jersey Devils’ award-winning Mission Control, a digital communications/social media initiative located inside the Prudential Center.
Well, it turns out Mission Control isn’t just about effectively managing, monitoring and measuring online brand engagements (and other corporate buzzterms like synergy and user-centric.)
Mission Control also saves dogs.
What’s the best example of how a brand has engaged with the team and its fans through the social space?
To choose one example would be very, very difficult but one example that may surprise you, sticks out in my mind. Of course we talk hockey, we talk concerts, we talk tickets but this one day we had a real life dilemma on our hands. Two stray puppies were found running around the loading dock area of the Prudential Center. A security guard grabbed them both and one of our people got the puppies right to a shelter.
Within 24 hours, Mission Control had broadcasted enough information to enough people and the puppies were picked up by their owner at the shelter. The power and reach of social media is just amazing!
To answer your question: Yeah, slow news day.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)