May 11, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
If Game 7 experience matters, the Washington Capitals won’t be lacking in that department against the New York Rangers Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.
As CSNWashington.com notes, this “will be the sixth Game 7 in the playoff careers of Alex Ovechkin, Brooks Laich, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Semin. For Caps veteran defenseman Roman Hamrlik, it will be his ninth career Game 7.”
Yesterday, Laich waxed rather poetically about how the Capitals need to approach Saturday’s winner-take-all affair.
“You can’t get froze up by the pressure or the intensity,” he said. “You just have to let yourself be free and enjoy it and then after that whatever you are, if you’re a skater, you have to skate, if you’re a shooter, you shoot.”
Laich added: “If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on, now. Lord knows, I can’t change.”
The Caps are 2-3 in Game 7’s in what we’ll call the Alex Ovechkin era, but that losing record means nothing when you consider it was less than three weeks ago they went into Boston and beat the defending Stanley Cup champs in a deciding contest.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)