May 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Our congratulations to Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – the home of the New York Islanders has been named the second worst pro sports stadium in the United States by TIME.
It’s not called the Nassau Mausoleum for nothing. The home of the New York Islanders, first opened in 1972, hasn’t seen much on-ice success since the Isles won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 through 1983. The Islanders just finished their fifth straight losing season, and the team has made the playoffs four times in the last 17 years. The building hasn’t seen much improvement either. “There is probably no worse major-league facility right now in North America than the Nassau Coliseum,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in 2009. The Coliseum is a tiny, outdated eyesore in a charmless suburban spot: to make things worse, the government launched an asbestos investigation at the arena this spring.
The worst stadium, according to TIME, is the home of the Minnesota Vikings, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis. But unlike the Islanders, it sounds like the Vikings will be getting a new facility soon.
Nassau Coliseum was the only NHL building to make the list.
If you’re curious, here’s the rest:
3. Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay Rays
4. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego Chargers
5. O.Co Coliseum, Oakland Raiders
6. Candlestick Park, San Francisco 49ers
7. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis Rams
8. Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox
9. U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox
10. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers
Having been to No. 5 and No. 6, I fully support their spots on the list. Total dumps. The only other one I’ve been to is No. 8, which was awesome (even though the Red Sox won and my seat down the third base line actually pointed to center field.)
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)