May 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Our congratulations to Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – the home of the New York Islanders has been named the second worst pro sports stadium in the United States by TIME.
It’s not called the Nassau Mausoleum for nothing. The home of the New York Islanders, first opened in 1972, hasn’t seen much on-ice success since the Isles won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 through 1983. The Islanders just finished their fifth straight losing season, and the team has made the playoffs four times in the last 17 years. The building hasn’t seen much improvement either. “There is probably no worse major-league facility right now in North America than the Nassau Coliseum,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in 2009. The Coliseum is a tiny, outdated eyesore in a charmless suburban spot: to make things worse, the government launched an asbestos investigation at the arena this spring.
The worst stadium, according to TIME, is the home of the Minnesota Vikings, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis. But unlike the Islanders, it sounds like the Vikings will be getting a new facility soon.
Nassau Coliseum was the only NHL building to make the list.
If you’re curious, here’s the rest:
3. Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay Rays
4. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego Chargers
5. O.Co Coliseum, Oakland Raiders
6. Candlestick Park, San Francisco 49ers
7. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis Rams
8. Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox
9. U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox
10. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers
Having been to No. 5 and No. 6, I fully support their spots on the list. Total dumps. The only other one I’ve been to is No. 8, which was awesome (even though the Red Sox won and my seat down the third base line actually pointed to center field.)
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 6
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)