May 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Our congratulations to Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – the home of the New York Islanders has been named the second worst pro sports stadium in the United States by TIME.
It’s not called the Nassau Mausoleum for nothing. The home of the New York Islanders, first opened in 1972, hasn’t seen much on-ice success since the Isles won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 through 1983. The Islanders just finished their fifth straight losing season, and the team has made the playoffs four times in the last 17 years. The building hasn’t seen much improvement either. “There is probably no worse major-league facility right now in North America than the Nassau Coliseum,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in 2009. The Coliseum is a tiny, outdated eyesore in a charmless suburban spot: to make things worse, the government launched an asbestos investigation at the arena this spring.
The worst stadium, according to TIME, is the home of the Minnesota Vikings, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis. But unlike the Islanders, it sounds like the Vikings will be getting a new facility soon.
Nassau Coliseum was the only NHL building to make the list.
If you’re curious, here’s the rest:
3. Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay Rays
4. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego Chargers
5. O.Co Coliseum, Oakland Raiders
6. Candlestick Park, San Francisco 49ers
7. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis Rams
8. Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox
9. U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox
10. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers
Having been to No. 5 and No. 6, I fully support their spots on the list. Total dumps. The only other one I’ve been to is No. 8, which was awesome (even though the Red Sox won and my seat down the third base line actually pointed to center field.)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)