May 11, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
Our congratulations to Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – the home of the New York Islanders has been named the second worst pro sports stadium in the United States by TIME.
It’s not called the Nassau Mausoleum for nothing. The home of the New York Islanders, first opened in 1972, hasn’t seen much on-ice success since the Isles won four straight Stanley Cups from 1980 through 1983. The Islanders just finished their fifth straight losing season, and the team has made the playoffs four times in the last 17 years. The building hasn’t seen much improvement either. “There is probably no worse major-league facility right now in North America than the Nassau Coliseum,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in 2009. The Coliseum is a tiny, outdated eyesore in a charmless suburban spot: to make things worse, the government launched an asbestos investigation at the arena this spring.
The worst stadium, according to TIME, is the home of the Minnesota Vikings, the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in Minneapolis. But unlike the Islanders, it sounds like the Vikings will be getting a new facility soon.
Nassau Coliseum was the only NHL building to make the list.
If you’re curious, here’s the rest:
3. Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay Rays
4. Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego Chargers
5. O.Co Coliseum, Oakland Raiders
6. Candlestick Park, San Francisco 49ers
7. Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis Rams
8. Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox
9. U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox
10. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers
Having been to No. 5 and No. 6, I fully support their spots on the list. Total dumps. The only other one I’ve been to is No. 8, which was awesome (even though the Red Sox won and my seat down the third base line actually pointed to center field.)
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 68
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)