May 11, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
It seemed like the Los Angeles Kings started turning their season around when both Darryl Sutter and Jeff Carter arrived in town. Sutter provided them the coach they needed while Carter helped balance their offense.
In the postseason, Carter has just a goal and three assists but his potential for scoring in bunches makes some wonder if he’s the not-so secret weapon the Kings need to beat the Coyotes. Curtis Zupke of NHL.com hears it from teammate Jarrett Stoll about what Carter is capable of doing.
“A guy with that skill level and a guy that can shoot the puck like he does and score goals at every level like he has — those are game-breakers, series-breakers and guys you want on your team,” Stoll said. “We’re definitely lucky to have him. He’s a big part of our team. He pots a couple of goals, it’s going to be huge for us.”
We’ve seen Dustin Brown play huge all playoffs long for the Kings and Mike Richards and Anze Kopitar have helped be a part of the action too. If Carter joins that party and shows the skills that helped him be a 30-40 goal scorer in the past, the Kings could be headed to their first Stanley Cup finals since 1993. Mike Smith will have a lot to say about that.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)