May 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Shortly after signing a two-year extension to coach the Anaheim Ducks, Bruce Boudreau clarified his decision to pick Los Angeles — Anaheim’s bitter rival — to win the Stanley Cup.
“I’m happy in the sense that I think it will grow hockey in Southern California,” Boudreau said of the Kings’ playoff success. “But, I gotta be honest, I can’t really sit here and say, ‘I hope they win.’”
See, Boudreau can’t openly root for the Kings now that he’s embroiled in the Freeway Face-Off. Linked by Interstate 5 and a shared dislike for one another, Anaheim and Los Angeles have built up a healthy rivalry — but it’s the Ducks that hold major bragging rights.
They’ve won a Stanley Cup (in 2007). The Kings haven’t.
Haven’t yet, anyway.
“I didn’t want to do it, but I picked L.A. to win the West,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I thought they were the toughest team we played, especially coming down the stretch when teams had to win.
“For years, I’ve liked [Jonathan] Quick. I think he’s a tremendous goaltender. I’ve had Dustin Brown [in AHL Manchester] and I’ve always loved what he’s done.”
Careful there, Bruce. You’re starting to sound awful complimentary.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 0
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 34
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 78
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1