May 11, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Shortly after signing a two-year extension to coach the Anaheim Ducks, Bruce Boudreau clarified his decision to pick Los Angeles — Anaheim’s bitter rival — to win the Stanley Cup.
“I’m happy in the sense that I think it will grow hockey in Southern California,” Boudreau said of the Kings’ playoff success. “But, I gotta be honest, I can’t really sit here and say, ‘I hope they win.’”
See, Boudreau can’t openly root for the Kings now that he’s embroiled in the Freeway Face-Off. Linked by Interstate 5 and a shared dislike for one another, Anaheim and Los Angeles have built up a healthy rivalry — but it’s the Ducks that hold major bragging rights.
They’ve won a Stanley Cup (in 2007). The Kings haven’t.
Haven’t yet, anyway.
“I didn’t want to do it, but I picked L.A. to win the West,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I thought they were the toughest team we played, especially coming down the stretch when teams had to win.
“For years, I’ve liked [Jonathan] Quick. I think he’s a tremendous goaltender. I’ve had Dustin Brown [in AHL Manchester] and I’ve always loved what he’s done.”
Careful there, Bruce. You’re starting to sound awful complimentary.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)