May 11, 2012, 8:33 PM EST
The Avalanche are all set with Semyon Varlamov, but having enough goaltending in the pipeline is never a bad thing. Good thing for Colorado they’ve drafted a lot of them over the years and now they’re officially bringing three of them into the fold.
Colorado signed collegiate goalies Kieran Millan (Boston University) and Kent Patterson (University of Minnesota) as well as Finland World Junior goalie Sami Aittokallio to entry-level contracts and join the fold within the organization.
Millan helped BU win the 2009 national championships as a freshman and has been a four-year starter for the Terriers. Patterson helped lead the Golden Gophers back to the NCAA tournament this season while playing all but 20:44 on ice this season. Aittokallio led Finland to a fourth place finish at the World Junior Championships this year going 3-2-0 with a goals against average of 2.52 and a .934 save percentage.
Aittokallio was a fourth-round pick in 2010 while Millan was a fifth-round pick in 2009 and Patterson a sixth-round choice back in 2007. Safe to say the Avs weren’t exactly banking on having a young Russian netminder like Varlamov back when they drafted these guys.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)