May 11, 2012, 8:33 PM EST
The Avalanche are all set with Semyon Varlamov, but having enough goaltending in the pipeline is never a bad thing. Good thing for Colorado they’ve drafted a lot of them over the years and now they’re officially bringing three of them into the fold.
Colorado signed collegiate goalies Kieran Millan (Boston University) and Kent Patterson (University of Minnesota) as well as Finland World Junior goalie Sami Aittokallio to entry-level contracts and join the fold within the organization.
Millan helped BU win the 2009 national championships as a freshman and has been a four-year starter for the Terriers. Patterson helped lead the Golden Gophers back to the NCAA tournament this season while playing all but 20:44 on ice this season. Aittokallio led Finland to a fourth place finish at the World Junior Championships this year going 3-2-0 with a goals against average of 2.52 and a .934 save percentage.
Aittokallio was a fourth-round pick in 2010 while Millan was a fifth-round pick in 2009 and Patterson a sixth-round choice back in 2007. Safe to say the Avs weren’t exactly banking on having a young Russian netminder like Varlamov back when they drafted these guys.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)