May 11, 2012, 8:33 PM EDT
The Avalanche are all set with Semyon Varlamov, but having enough goaltending in the pipeline is never a bad thing. Good thing for Colorado they’ve drafted a lot of them over the years and now they’re officially bringing three of them into the fold.
Colorado signed collegiate goalies Kieran Millan (Boston University) and Kent Patterson (University of Minnesota) as well as Finland World Junior goalie Sami Aittokallio to entry-level contracts and join the fold within the organization.
Millan helped BU win the 2009 national championships as a freshman and has been a four-year starter for the Terriers. Patterson helped lead the Golden Gophers back to the NCAA tournament this season while playing all but 20:44 on ice this season. Aittokallio led Finland to a fourth place finish at the World Junior Championships this year going 3-2-0 with a goals against average of 2.52 and a .934 save percentage.
Aittokallio was a fourth-round pick in 2010 while Millan was a fifth-round pick in 2009 and Patterson a sixth-round choice back in 2007. Safe to say the Avs weren’t exactly banking on having a young Russian netminder like Varlamov back when they drafted these guys.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)