May 10, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
This promises to be an interesting summer for Ken Holland.
The Detroit GM would like to make a splash in free agency, but the talent pool is shallow. He’d like to add some youth to an aging roster, but that’s easier said than done. He’d like for captain Nicklas Lidstrom to play one more year, but there’s no guarantee it’ll happen.
In fact, Holland is waiting on Lidstrom right now.
“Yeah, yeah,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “I’m hoping Nick is going to do it one more year. But I’ve still got some time to go.”
It’s believed that Holland will meet with Lidstrom over the next few weeks to decide the 42-year-old’s future. It’s imperative a decision is reached prior to the start of free agency (Jul. 1), so the GM can figure out:
— How much of his cap room (currently at $20 million) will be allotted to Lidstrom, who made $6.2 million on each of his last two deals.
— How much he and head coach Mike Babcock are willing to rely on former 1st/2nd round picks making entry-level money (Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyqvist, Landon Ferraro, Tomas Tatar).
— If 2010 first-round pick Riley Sheahan is ready to make the NHL after a one-game trial in April.
So yeah, plenty of issues facing Holland.
Not that he thinks they’ll be too difficult to overcome.
“You wake up every day, and you’re nervous. It’s such a fine, fine line between finishing fifth and finishing ninth,” he explained. “[But] certainly with a tweak here or there, a couple of good things happen to us this summer, we make a couple of moves, there is no reason we can’t contend in the West.”
The big move, though, is getting Lidstrom back.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)