May 10, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
It was a classic bookend game for Team USA. They started and ended their game with Belarus on fire on their way to a 5-3 win at the World Championships in Helsinki.
Goals from Justin Abdelkader and Cam Atkinson in the opening 6:31 of the first period helped chase Belorussian starting goalie Andrei Mezin from the game and get the United States out flying. Things wouldn’t stay hot for long though as over the following period and a half, Belarus was able to tie the game up. Late in the second and into the third period, however, America stepped up.
Nate Thompson broke the tie late in the second period while Bobby Ryan and Paul Stastny scored in the third to put Team USA up 5-2. Belarus would add a five-on-three power play goal with 10 seconds remaining to provide the final tally that would be too little, too late. Jimmy Howard finished with 23 saves for the win.
With the win, Team USA holds sits in third place in Group H, four points behind unbeaten Finland and two back of Canada. The Americans have to keep winning, however, because Slovakia and Switzerland are each just two points behind. Only the top four teams qualify for the quarterfinals and the U.S. does not have the tiebreaker over Slovakia. Team USA’s two remaining games are against Finland and Switzerland.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)