May 10, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Ryan Suter and Predators GM David Poile met on Wednesday, but they didn’t talk about specifics. The main reason for that is Suter isn’t ready yet. He didn’t expect the Predators season to end so unceremoniously at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round.
“Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions,” Suter said. “You’re so focused and now that the year is over you want to get away from everything and wind down.”
Suter thinks that he’s going to meet with the Predators “in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision.”
As we previously reported, one thing we do know is that Suter is seeking a long-term contract. It also seems likely that he could command $7 million or so annually on the free agent market. Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild are potential suitors for his services.
There’s a good chance that Suter will end up testing the free agent waters, but one thing Nashville has working in its favor is that they have some very promising defensive prospects in Ryan Ellis and Jonathon Blum. They don’t want to lose Suter, but if they do, the blow might not be as devastating as some might think.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)