May 10, 2012, 8:55 AM EST
Ryan Suter and Predators GM David Poile met on Wednesday, but they didn’t talk about specifics. The main reason for that is Suter isn’t ready yet. He didn’t expect the Predators season to end so unceremoniously at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round.
“Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions,” Suter said. “You’re so focused and now that the year is over you want to get away from everything and wind down.”
Suter thinks that he’s going to meet with the Predators “in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision.”
As we previously reported, one thing we do know is that Suter is seeking a long-term contract. It also seems likely that he could command $7 million or so annually on the free agent market. Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild are potential suitors for his services.
There’s a good chance that Suter will end up testing the free agent waters, but one thing Nashville has working in its favor is that they have some very promising defensive prospects in Ryan Ellis and Jonathon Blum. They don’t want to lose Suter, but if they do, the blow might not be as devastating as some might think.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)