May 10, 2012, 8:55 AM EST
Ryan Suter and Predators GM David Poile met on Wednesday, but they didn’t talk about specifics. The main reason for that is Suter isn’t ready yet. He didn’t expect the Predators season to end so unceremoniously at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round.
“Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions,” Suter said. “You’re so focused and now that the year is over you want to get away from everything and wind down.”
Suter thinks that he’s going to meet with the Predators “in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision.”
As we previously reported, one thing we do know is that Suter is seeking a long-term contract. It also seems likely that he could command $7 million or so annually on the free agent market. Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild are potential suitors for his services.
There’s a good chance that Suter will end up testing the free agent waters, but one thing Nashville has working in its favor is that they have some very promising defensive prospects in Ryan Ellis and Jonathon Blum. They don’t want to lose Suter, but if they do, the blow might not be as devastating as some might think.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)