May 10, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Ryan Suter and Predators GM David Poile met on Wednesday, but they didn’t talk about specifics. The main reason for that is Suter isn’t ready yet. He didn’t expect the Predators season to end so unceremoniously at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round.
“Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions,” Suter said. “You’re so focused and now that the year is over you want to get away from everything and wind down.”
Suter thinks that he’s going to meet with the Predators “in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision.”
As we previously reported, one thing we do know is that Suter is seeking a long-term contract. It also seems likely that he could command $7 million or so annually on the free agent market. Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild are potential suitors for his services.
There’s a good chance that Suter will end up testing the free agent waters, but one thing Nashville has working in its favor is that they have some very promising defensive prospects in Ryan Ellis and Jonathon Blum. They don’t want to lose Suter, but if they do, the blow might not be as devastating as some might think.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 1
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 11
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33