May 10, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
Ryan Suter and Predators GM David Poile met on Wednesday, but they didn’t talk about specifics. The main reason for that is Suter isn’t ready yet. He didn’t expect the Predators season to end so unceremoniously at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes in the second round.
“Your emotions are so high throughout the year, and you try not to have any distractions,” Suter said. “You’re so focused and now that the year is over you want to get away from everything and wind down.”
Suter thinks that he’s going to meet with the Predators “in a couple of weeks and kind of make a decision.”
As we previously reported, one thing we do know is that Suter is seeking a long-term contract. It also seems likely that he could command $7 million or so annually on the free agent market. Several teams, including the Detroit Red Wings and Minnesota Wild are potential suitors for his services.
There’s a good chance that Suter will end up testing the free agent waters, but one thing Nashville has working in its favor is that they have some very promising defensive prospects in Ryan Ellis and Jonathon Blum. They don’t want to lose Suter, but if they do, the blow might not be as devastating as some might think.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)