May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Weber can, however, become unrestricted on July 1, 2013, a fact that’s had teams drooling for a while now.
Take the Vancouver Canucks, a franchise that’s been around since 1970 and never – not once – boasted a defenseman that’s been nominated for the Norris Trophy.
Not coincidentally, many will argue, the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup.
Also not coincidentally, the three times they’ve been to the finals, the teams that beat them featured Norris winners Denis Potvin (Islanders), Brian Leetch (Rangers) and Zdeno Chara (Bruins).
(Fun fact: the last Norris winner that retired without a championship ring was Doug Wilson.)
This morning, one Vancouver newspaper is wondering if the Canucks could land Weber, who also happens to be a British Columbia native.
From The Province:
If the discussion about whether Mattias Ohlund should be in the Ring of Honour underscored anything, it’s just how deprived the Canucks have been of great defencemen. It’s hard to believe, after 40 years, the question of “who is the Canucks’ best blueliner of all time?” is boiled down to Jyrki Lumme vs. Ohlund.
What, no love for Doug Lidster?
Yesterday, Weber said he’ll have to digest the disappointment of losing to the Coyotes before he thinks about the future.
But if Suter signs elsewhere this summer, like many believe he will, it could make it even tougher for Nashville to lock up Weber, who’ll get a massive contract regardless of where he decides to play. The question he’ll have is, can I win here?
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 0
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)