May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Weber can, however, become unrestricted on July 1, 2013, a fact that’s had teams drooling for a while now.
Take the Vancouver Canucks, a franchise that’s been around since 1970 and never – not once – boasted a defenseman that’s been nominated for the Norris Trophy.
Not coincidentally, many will argue, the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup.
Also not coincidentally, the three times they’ve been to the finals, the teams that beat them featured Norris winners Denis Potvin (Islanders), Brian Leetch (Rangers) and Zdeno Chara (Bruins).
(Fun fact: the last Norris winner that retired without a championship ring was Doug Wilson.)
This morning, one Vancouver newspaper is wondering if the Canucks could land Weber, who also happens to be a British Columbia native.
From The Province:
If the discussion about whether Mattias Ohlund should be in the Ring of Honour underscored anything, it’s just how deprived the Canucks have been of great defencemen. It’s hard to believe, after 40 years, the question of “who is the Canucks’ best blueliner of all time?” is boiled down to Jyrki Lumme vs. Ohlund.
What, no love for Doug Lidster?
Yesterday, Weber said he’ll have to digest the disappointment of losing to the Coyotes before he thinks about the future.
But if Suter signs elsewhere this summer, like many believe he will, it could make it even tougher for Nashville to lock up Weber, who’ll get a massive contract regardless of where he decides to play. The question he’ll have is, can I win here?
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic