May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Weber can, however, become unrestricted on July 1, 2013, a fact that’s had teams drooling for a while now.
Take the Vancouver Canucks, a franchise that’s been around since 1970 and never – not once – boasted a defenseman that’s been nominated for the Norris Trophy.
Not coincidentally, many will argue, the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup.
Also not coincidentally, the three times they’ve been to the finals, the teams that beat them featured Norris winners Denis Potvin (Islanders), Brian Leetch (Rangers) and Zdeno Chara (Bruins).
(Fun fact: the last Norris winner that retired without a championship ring was Doug Wilson.)
This morning, one Vancouver newspaper is wondering if the Canucks could land Weber, who also happens to be a British Columbia native.
From The Province:
If the discussion about whether Mattias Ohlund should be in the Ring of Honour underscored anything, it’s just how deprived the Canucks have been of great defencemen. It’s hard to believe, after 40 years, the question of “who is the Canucks’ best blueliner of all time?” is boiled down to Jyrki Lumme vs. Ohlund.
What, no love for Doug Lidster?
Yesterday, Weber said he’ll have to digest the disappointment of losing to the Coyotes before he thinks about the future.
But if Suter signs elsewhere this summer, like many believe he will, it could make it even tougher for Nashville to lock up Weber, who’ll get a massive contract regardless of where he decides to play. The question he’ll have is, can I win here?
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)