May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
Weber can, however, become unrestricted on July 1, 2013, a fact that’s had teams drooling for a while now.
Take the Vancouver Canucks, a franchise that’s been around since 1970 and never – not once – boasted a defenseman that’s been nominated for the Norris Trophy.
Not coincidentally, many will argue, the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup.
Also not coincidentally, the three times they’ve been to the finals, the teams that beat them featured Norris winners Denis Potvin (Islanders), Brian Leetch (Rangers) and Zdeno Chara (Bruins).
(Fun fact: the last Norris winner that retired without a championship ring was Doug Wilson.)
This morning, one Vancouver newspaper is wondering if the Canucks could land Weber, who also happens to be a British Columbia native.
From The Province:
If the discussion about whether Mattias Ohlund should be in the Ring of Honour underscored anything, it’s just how deprived the Canucks have been of great defencemen. It’s hard to believe, after 40 years, the question of “who is the Canucks’ best blueliner of all time?” is boiled down to Jyrki Lumme vs. Ohlund.
What, no love for Doug Lidster?
Yesterday, Weber said he’ll have to digest the disappointment of losing to the Coyotes before he thinks about the future.
But if Suter signs elsewhere this summer, like many believe he will, it could make it even tougher for Nashville to lock up Weber, who’ll get a massive contract regardless of where he decides to play. The question he’ll have is, can I win here?
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)