May 10, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
A lot of you might be having horrible flashbacks seeing the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. After all, the last time they were there was 2003 and scoring goals was not all the rage then.
Fast forward to now and the Devils are back. Martin Brodeur is still the goalie but guys like Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise are driving the attack. Yes, the Devils are using offense to make things happen and Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen wants you to know all about it.
They don’t exactly look like the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s, but the Devils’ style is exciting in a relative sense.
All around them in the playoffs, success has come from teams collapsing around their goaltenders, blocking shots and clearing bodies in front of the net.
Sure, that’s sound, defensive playoff hockey, but at least the Devils are attacking a bit more.
Think about it, the Devils frustrated the Flyers by forechecking them to death and forcing their defensemen to turn the puck over. Those turnovers turned into offensive chances. The Devils also scored a record number of goals shorthanded this year. Normally an agitator, David Clarkson scored 30 goals.
If you’re thinking the Devils are just going to bore you to death in the playoffs one more time, think again.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)