May 10, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
A lot of you might be having horrible flashbacks seeing the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. After all, the last time they were there was 2003 and scoring goals was not all the rage then.
Fast forward to now and the Devils are back. Martin Brodeur is still the goalie but guys like Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise are driving the attack. Yes, the Devils are using offense to make things happen and Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen wants you to know all about it.
They don’t exactly look like the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s, but the Devils’ style is exciting in a relative sense.
All around them in the playoffs, success has come from teams collapsing around their goaltenders, blocking shots and clearing bodies in front of the net.
Sure, that’s sound, defensive playoff hockey, but at least the Devils are attacking a bit more.
Think about it, the Devils frustrated the Flyers by forechecking them to death and forcing their defensemen to turn the puck over. Those turnovers turned into offensive chances. The Devils also scored a record number of goals shorthanded this year. Normally an agitator, David Clarkson scored 30 goals.
If you’re thinking the Devils are just going to bore you to death in the playoffs one more time, think again.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)