May 10, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
A lot of you might be having horrible flashbacks seeing the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. After all, the last time they were there was 2003 and scoring goals was not all the rage then.
Fast forward to now and the Devils are back. Martin Brodeur is still the goalie but guys like Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise are driving the attack. Yes, the Devils are using offense to make things happen and Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen wants you to know all about it.
They don’t exactly look like the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s, but the Devils’ style is exciting in a relative sense.
All around them in the playoffs, success has come from teams collapsing around their goaltenders, blocking shots and clearing bodies in front of the net.
Sure, that’s sound, defensive playoff hockey, but at least the Devils are attacking a bit more.
Think about it, the Devils frustrated the Flyers by forechecking them to death and forcing their defensemen to turn the puck over. Those turnovers turned into offensive chances. The Devils also scored a record number of goals shorthanded this year. Normally an agitator, David Clarkson scored 30 goals.
If you’re thinking the Devils are just going to bore you to death in the playoffs one more time, think again.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)