May 10, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
The Flyers’ disappointing exit from the playoffs has provided more than enough attention to Ilya Bryzgalov, but the rest of the team could use some beefing up for a potential Stanley Cup run next season. General manager Paul Holmgren knows all too well that Bryzgalov was only one of many issues.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports from Holmgren’s end-of-season press conference and finds out the Flyers GM will do what it takes to make things better.
“We’ll look at every way we can to improve our hockey team,” Holmgren said of his approach this summer. “Do we have as many holes as we did five years ago? Probably not. We do have some holes and we’re going to try to fill those holes.”
One area that’s going to get help in one way or another is defense. With Chris Pronger‘s future and career in doubt and Matt Carle potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent, some are dreaming big about Predators impending free agent Ryan Suter.
Panaccio suggests Holmgren could wind up going an old route if they’re making a run at a player like Suter by acquiring their rights ahead of July 1. One things for sure, don’t expect the Flyers to be quiet this summer.
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 52
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)