May 10, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
The Flyers’ disappointing exit from the playoffs has provided more than enough attention to Ilya Bryzgalov, but the rest of the team could use some beefing up for a potential Stanley Cup run next season. General manager Paul Holmgren knows all too well that Bryzgalov was only one of many issues.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports from Holmgren’s end-of-season press conference and finds out the Flyers GM will do what it takes to make things better.
“We’ll look at every way we can to improve our hockey team,” Holmgren said of his approach this summer. “Do we have as many holes as we did five years ago? Probably not. We do have some holes and we’re going to try to fill those holes.”
One area that’s going to get help in one way or another is defense. With Chris Pronger‘s future and career in doubt and Matt Carle potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent, some are dreaming big about Predators impending free agent Ryan Suter.
Panaccio suggests Holmgren could wind up going an old route if they’re making a run at a player like Suter by acquiring their rights ahead of July 1. One things for sure, don’t expect the Flyers to be quiet this summer.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7