May 10, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
The Flyers’ disappointing exit from the playoffs has provided more than enough attention to Ilya Bryzgalov, but the rest of the team could use some beefing up for a potential Stanley Cup run next season. General manager Paul Holmgren knows all too well that Bryzgalov was only one of many issues.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports from Holmgren’s end-of-season press conference and finds out the Flyers GM will do what it takes to make things better.
“We’ll look at every way we can to improve our hockey team,” Holmgren said of his approach this summer. “Do we have as many holes as we did five years ago? Probably not. We do have some holes and we’re going to try to fill those holes.”
One area that’s going to get help in one way or another is defense. With Chris Pronger‘s future and career in doubt and Matt Carle potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent, some are dreaming big about Predators impending free agent Ryan Suter.
Panaccio suggests Holmgren could wind up going an old route if they’re making a run at a player like Suter by acquiring their rights ahead of July 1. One things for sure, don’t expect the Flyers to be quiet this summer.
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 3
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 7
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)