May 10, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
The Flyers’ disappointing exit from the playoffs has provided more than enough attention to Ilya Bryzgalov, but the rest of the team could use some beefing up for a potential Stanley Cup run next season. General manager Paul Holmgren knows all too well that Bryzgalov was only one of many issues.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports from Holmgren’s end-of-season press conference and finds out the Flyers GM will do what it takes to make things better.
“We’ll look at every way we can to improve our hockey team,” Holmgren said of his approach this summer. “Do we have as many holes as we did five years ago? Probably not. We do have some holes and we’re going to try to fill those holes.”
One area that’s going to get help in one way or another is defense. With Chris Pronger‘s future and career in doubt and Matt Carle potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent, some are dreaming big about Predators impending free agent Ryan Suter.
Panaccio suggests Holmgren could wind up going an old route if they’re making a run at a player like Suter by acquiring their rights ahead of July 1. One things for sure, don’t expect the Flyers to be quiet this summer.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (89)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)