May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
As we previously mentioned, with his early power-play goal in Washington’s 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers, Alex Ovechkin now has 30 goals in just 50 playoff games. That’s pretty impressive, but it looks even better when you give it some context.
The last player to score 30 goals in his first 50 postseason contests was Joe Sakic, who did it in 1997. The scary thing is that Ovechkin might have reached the 30-goal mark even quicker if his playing time hadn’t been slashed – at least compared to previous postseason runs – and the Capitals didn’t change their playing style. He had 25 goals in 37 playoff contests coming into 2011-12.
“It’s not about me; it’s all about everybody,” Ovechkin said. “We wanna play good in playoff game. Of course I’m gonna do my best and everybody gonna do their best. You can see how we start hockey game where we put puck deep and finish our checks and move our legs, get penalty and score goal.”
For now, it’s not a stretch to assume that Ovechkin is primarily thinking about Game 7, which will be played at 7:30pm ET on Saturday.
Ovechkin has never played in the Conference Finals before. The last time he came this close was in 2009 when the Capitals lost in Game 7 to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round. Washington has changed a lot since then. We’ll see if the results are different too.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 8
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 1
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)