May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
As we previously mentioned, with his early power-play goal in Washington’s 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers, Alex Ovechkin now has 30 goals in just 50 playoff games. That’s pretty impressive, but it looks even better when you give it some context.
The last player to score 30 goals in his first 50 postseason contests was Joe Sakic, who did it in 1997. The scary thing is that Ovechkin might have reached the 30-goal mark even quicker if his playing time hadn’t been slashed – at least compared to previous postseason runs – and the Capitals didn’t change their playing style. He had 25 goals in 37 playoff contests coming into 2011-12.
“It’s not about me; it’s all about everybody,” Ovechkin said. “We wanna play good in playoff game. Of course I’m gonna do my best and everybody gonna do their best. You can see how we start hockey game where we put puck deep and finish our checks and move our legs, get penalty and score goal.”
For now, it’s not a stretch to assume that Ovechkin is primarily thinking about Game 7, which will be played at 7:30pm ET on Saturday.
Ovechkin has never played in the Conference Finals before. The last time he came this close was in 2009 when the Capitals lost in Game 7 to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round. Washington has changed a lot since then. We’ll see if the results are different too.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)