May 10, 2012, 8:47 PM EST
The biggest name available at the trade deadline was, without a doubt, Columbus captain Rick Nash. The team that went the hardest after him was the New York Rangers. With the Rangers hurting for offense all throughout the playoffs, thoughts are turning to whether or not Nash’s presence in the lineup would’ve made a difference.
ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside mentions Nash in his thoughts on how Marian Gaborik hasn’t been much of a difference maker in these playoffs or in any playoffs in the past and he’s been especially ineffective on the power play. Burnside also notes in 47 career playoff games Gaborik has just 17 goals. While Gaborik has one huge goal, his triple-overtime game-winner, he’s been notably absent.
The Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons weighs in saying the Rangers are a small team up front thanks to guys like Gaborik and speedster Carl Hagelin (who has zero points) and a guy with Nash’s size could’ve made a huge difference.
In their three losses in this series, they have scored all of four goals. With Rick Nash in Ranger colours, there would be no seventh game. This series would already be over.
That’s quite the declaration and considering how tough the Capitals defense has played, virtually no one has been able to park in front of the net to make a play. Nash could’ve been a factor, but the price the Rangers would’ve paid to get him may have affected the sort of team they could ice.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 18
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 9
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)