May 10, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
The biggest name available at the trade deadline was, without a doubt, Columbus captain Rick Nash. The team that went the hardest after him was the New York Rangers. With the Rangers hurting for offense all throughout the playoffs, thoughts are turning to whether or not Nash’s presence in the lineup would’ve made a difference.
ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside mentions Nash in his thoughts on how Marian Gaborik hasn’t been much of a difference maker in these playoffs or in any playoffs in the past and he’s been especially ineffective on the power play. Burnside also notes in 47 career playoff games Gaborik has just 17 goals. While Gaborik has one huge goal, his triple-overtime game-winner, he’s been notably absent.
The Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons weighs in saying the Rangers are a small team up front thanks to guys like Gaborik and speedster Carl Hagelin (who has zero points) and a guy with Nash’s size could’ve made a huge difference.
In their three losses in this series, they have scored all of four goals. With Rick Nash in Ranger colours, there would be no seventh game. This series would already be over.
That’s quite the declaration and considering how tough the Capitals defense has played, virtually no one has been able to park in front of the net to make a play. Nash could’ve been a factor, but the price the Rangers would’ve paid to get him may have affected the sort of team they could ice.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)