May 10, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
The biggest name available at the trade deadline was, without a doubt, Columbus captain Rick Nash. The team that went the hardest after him was the New York Rangers. With the Rangers hurting for offense all throughout the playoffs, thoughts are turning to whether or not Nash’s presence in the lineup would’ve made a difference.
ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside mentions Nash in his thoughts on how Marian Gaborik hasn’t been much of a difference maker in these playoffs or in any playoffs in the past and he’s been especially ineffective on the power play. Burnside also notes in 47 career playoff games Gaborik has just 17 goals. While Gaborik has one huge goal, his triple-overtime game-winner, he’s been notably absent.
The Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons weighs in saying the Rangers are a small team up front thanks to guys like Gaborik and speedster Carl Hagelin (who has zero points) and a guy with Nash’s size could’ve made a huge difference.
In their three losses in this series, they have scored all of four goals. With Rick Nash in Ranger colours, there would be no seventh game. This series would already be over.
That’s quite the declaration and considering how tough the Capitals defense has played, virtually no one has been able to park in front of the net to make a play. Nash could’ve been a factor, but the price the Rangers would’ve paid to get him may have affected the sort of team they could ice.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 1
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)