May 10, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
The biggest name available at the trade deadline was, without a doubt, Columbus captain Rick Nash. The team that went the hardest after him was the New York Rangers. With the Rangers hurting for offense all throughout the playoffs, thoughts are turning to whether or not Nash’s presence in the lineup would’ve made a difference.
ESPN.com’s Scott Burnside mentions Nash in his thoughts on how Marian Gaborik hasn’t been much of a difference maker in these playoffs or in any playoffs in the past and he’s been especially ineffective on the power play. Burnside also notes in 47 career playoff games Gaborik has just 17 goals. While Gaborik has one huge goal, his triple-overtime game-winner, he’s been notably absent.
The Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons weighs in saying the Rangers are a small team up front thanks to guys like Gaborik and speedster Carl Hagelin (who has zero points) and a guy with Nash’s size could’ve made a huge difference.
In their three losses in this series, they have scored all of four goals. With Rick Nash in Ranger colours, there would be no seventh game. This series would already be over.
That’s quite the declaration and considering how tough the Capitals defense has played, virtually no one has been able to park in front of the net to make a play. Nash could’ve been a factor, but the price the Rangers would’ve paid to get him may have affected the sort of team they could ice.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)