May 10, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
It’s been a long, long time since the Los Angeles Kings franchise has been this close to that elusive first Stanley Cup victory. That doesn’t mean that the roster is devoid of players who’ve “been there” before, though.
Helene Elliott points out that four (or at least three-and-a-half) Kings players have been a part of a Stanley Cup-winning run before: Rob Scuderi, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner and Colin Fraser. (Fraser is the “half” since he only played three games for the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.)
Williams was a big part of the Carolina Hurricanes’ surprise 2006 run (along with Phoenix Coyotes scorer Ray Whitney) and had this to say about the Kings.
“I think we have all those factors right now that every championship team needs,” Williams said. “In saying that, we’ve won two rounds. There [will be] four teams left … and we want to be the last one standing.”
Rob Scuderi combined with Hal Gill to be a solid shutdown duo for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup run and advised his teammates to embrace the situation for what it should be: fun.
“It’s OK to be excited,” Scuderi said. “It’s OK to have fun with it. But you have to realize that it’s not our end goal.”
The Kings are eight wins away from the real fun and that end goal, then.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)