May 10, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s been a long, long time since the Los Angeles Kings franchise has been this close to that elusive first Stanley Cup victory. That doesn’t mean that the roster is devoid of players who’ve “been there” before, though.
Helene Elliott points out that four (or at least three-and-a-half) Kings players have been a part of a Stanley Cup-winning run before: Rob Scuderi, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner and Colin Fraser. (Fraser is the “half” since he only played three games for the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.)
Williams was a big part of the Carolina Hurricanes’ surprise 2006 run (along with Phoenix Coyotes scorer Ray Whitney) and had this to say about the Kings.
“I think we have all those factors right now that every championship team needs,” Williams said. “In saying that, we’ve won two rounds. There [will be] four teams left … and we want to be the last one standing.”
Rob Scuderi combined with Hal Gill to be a solid shutdown duo for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup run and advised his teammates to embrace the situation for what it should be: fun.
“It’s OK to be excited,” Scuderi said. “It’s OK to have fun with it. But you have to realize that it’s not our end goal.”
The Kings are eight wins away from the real fun and that end goal, then.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)