May 10, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s been a long, long time since the Los Angeles Kings franchise has been this close to that elusive first Stanley Cup victory. That doesn’t mean that the roster is devoid of players who’ve “been there” before, though.
Helene Elliott points out that four (or at least three-and-a-half) Kings players have been a part of a Stanley Cup-winning run before: Rob Scuderi, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner and Colin Fraser. (Fraser is the “half” since he only played three games for the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.)
Williams was a big part of the Carolina Hurricanes’ surprise 2006 run (along with Phoenix Coyotes scorer Ray Whitney) and had this to say about the Kings.
“I think we have all those factors right now that every championship team needs,” Williams said. “In saying that, we’ve won two rounds. There [will be] four teams left … and we want to be the last one standing.”
Rob Scuderi combined with Hal Gill to be a solid shutdown duo for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 2009 Stanley Cup run and advised his teammates to embrace the situation for what it should be: fun.
“It’s OK to be excited,” Scuderi said. “It’s OK to have fun with it. But you have to realize that it’s not our end goal.”
The Kings are eight wins away from the real fun and that end goal, then.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 40
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)