May 10, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
The architect of Dallas’ first and only Stanley Cup winner is back in the fold.
Stars CEO Jim Lites confirmed Wednesday that former coach and general manager Bob Gainey has been hired as a consultant, bringing Gainey back to the franchise he made a powerhouse in the late 90s.
“I think the most important thing I can do in my job is hire good people, and Bob is one of the best persons I know,” Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “He was available, he was very interested in what we’ve been able to accomplish, and I just believe having a voice like that will be extremely beneficial in a lot of ways.”
Gainey told the Morning News his role with the Stars will be similar to the one he had with Montreal under then-GM Pierre Gauthier.
“My scope will probably be broader with the Stars, but I see it as observing and familiarizing myself with the players and then hopefully offering some guidance that maybe others haven’t seen,” Gainey said. “I would like to be able to say, ‘I see this in a player,’ or ‘Maybe we could shape this player in this direction.’
“Those are areas where I believe I can help.”
Gainey is the latest in a series of Dallas’ “retro” hires. Others include: GM Joe Nieuwendyk (who won the Conn Smythe for Dallas in 1999) and Hockey Operations Consultant Stu Barnes (who played four years and retired with the Stars.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)