May 10, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
The architect of Dallas’ first and only Stanley Cup winner is back in the fold.
Stars CEO Jim Lites confirmed Wednesday that former coach and general manager Bob Gainey has been hired as a consultant, bringing Gainey back to the franchise he made a powerhouse in the late 90s.
“I think the most important thing I can do in my job is hire good people, and Bob is one of the best persons I know,” Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “He was available, he was very interested in what we’ve been able to accomplish, and I just believe having a voice like that will be extremely beneficial in a lot of ways.”
Gainey told the Morning News his role with the Stars will be similar to the one he had with Montreal under then-GM Pierre Gauthier.
“My scope will probably be broader with the Stars, but I see it as observing and familiarizing myself with the players and then hopefully offering some guidance that maybe others haven’t seen,” Gainey said. “I would like to be able to say, ‘I see this in a player,’ or ‘Maybe we could shape this player in this direction.’
“Those are areas where I believe I can help.”
Gainey is the latest in a series of Dallas’ “retro” hires. Others include: GM Joe Nieuwendyk (who won the Conn Smythe for Dallas in 1999) and Hockey Operations Consultant Stu Barnes (who played four years and retired with the Stars.)
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)