May 10, 2012, 10:56 AM EST
The architect of Dallas’ first and only Stanley Cup winner is back in the fold.
Stars CEO Jim Lites confirmed Wednesday that former coach and general manager Bob Gainey has been hired as a consultant, bringing Gainey back to the franchise he made a powerhouse in the late 90s.
“I think the most important thing I can do in my job is hire good people, and Bob is one of the best persons I know,” Lites told the Dallas Morning News. “He was available, he was very interested in what we’ve been able to accomplish, and I just believe having a voice like that will be extremely beneficial in a lot of ways.”
Gainey told the Morning News his role with the Stars will be similar to the one he had with Montreal under then-GM Pierre Gauthier.
“My scope will probably be broader with the Stars, but I see it as observing and familiarizing myself with the players and then hopefully offering some guidance that maybe others haven’t seen,” Gainey said. “I would like to be able to say, ‘I see this in a player,’ or ‘Maybe we could shape this player in this direction.’
“Those are areas where I believe I can help.”
Gainey is the latest in a series of Dallas’ “retro” hires. Others include: GM Joe Nieuwendyk (who won the Conn Smythe for Dallas in 1999) and Hockey Operations Consultant Stu Barnes (who played four years and retired with the Stars.)
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)