May 10, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
Today in St. Louis, the Blues held a press conference to formally announce the sale of the club to a group of local investors led by former minority owner Tom Stillman.
Also on hand was NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to throw his full support behind the new ownership.
“We know the future is extraordinarily bright,” said Bettman, as per the Associated Press. “The balance sheet looks much, much better, much, much stronger.”
No surprise Bettman mentioned the balance sheet – according to Forbes’ most recent franchise valuations, the Blues had the third-highest debt/value ratio in the NHL.
The most indebted team, according to Forbes, was New Jersey, and servicing the debt has been problematic to say the least for Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek.
There are 16 major investors in the Blues, all with local ties and all, presumably, with the connections to hit up St. Louis-area businesses to sell sponsorships, season tickets and perhaps even convince additional investors to come aboard.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)