May 10, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
After orchestrating a solid in-season turnaround and compiling a 27-23-8 record overall, Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau has been rewarded with a two-year extension.
“Since joining the organization last November, Bruce has done an outstanding job with the team,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s committed to us and determined to lead us back to the playoffs.”
Boudreau likely won his extension with the job he did in 2012. After Jan. 1, Anaheim went 24-15-6 — the fifth best record in the Western Conference — and made a spirited push for the playoffs.
“I’m really happy about this,” said Boudreau. “I’m convinced we have a great core of players and a bright future, and I’m excited to be part of it.”
Murray said repeatedly last season the club wasn’t interested in a rebuild and that the slow start under ex-head coach Randy Carlyle was an anomaly, not a sign of a fractured team.
He then backed that up with a three-year extension for defenseman Francois Beauchemin — believed to be a highly-coveted asset at the deadline — and sticking with forward Bobby Ryan after a flurry of trade speculation.
The Boudreau extension, combined with yesterday’s one-year contract extension to Saku Koivu, are two more signs the Ducks like their current group.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)