May 10, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
After orchestrating a solid in-season turnaround and compiling a 27-23-8 record overall, Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau has been rewarded with a two-year extension.
“Since joining the organization last November, Bruce has done an outstanding job with the team,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s committed to us and determined to lead us back to the playoffs.”
Boudreau likely won his extension with the job he did in 2012. After Jan. 1, Anaheim went 24-15-6 — the fifth best record in the Western Conference — and made a spirited push for the playoffs.
“I’m really happy about this,” said Boudreau. “I’m convinced we have a great core of players and a bright future, and I’m excited to be part of it.”
Murray said repeatedly last season the club wasn’t interested in a rebuild and that the slow start under ex-head coach Randy Carlyle was an anomaly, not a sign of a fractured team.
He then backed that up with a three-year extension for defenseman Francois Beauchemin — believed to be a highly-coveted asset at the deadline — and sticking with forward Bobby Ryan after a flurry of trade speculation.
The Boudreau extension, combined with yesterday’s one-year contract extension to Saku Koivu, are two more signs the Ducks like their current group.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 0
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights