May 9, 2012, 10:44 PM EST
For believers in things like “reason” and “logic,” the 2012 NHL playoffs have been a cruel beast. It’s not the only upset-laden summer in recent years (hockey is a sport with limited scoring, lending itself to surprises in small samples), but it really might be the year when hockey followed Murphy’s Law.
On the other hand, one illogical argument is falling to pieces: that Alex Ovechkin isn’t “clutch.” It was a pretty silly argument considering his career numbers already, but for some, you’re a failure if you don’t win in the playoffs regardless of context. Their arguments keep getting harder to make, however, and this video montage – which is as impressive for the scoring chances that didn’t amount to scores as the one that did – might do the trick for intangible buffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You think Ovechkin wanted this 2-1 win?
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)