May 9, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
For believers in things like “reason” and “logic,” the 2012 NHL playoffs have been a cruel beast. It’s not the only upset-laden summer in recent years (hockey is a sport with limited scoring, lending itself to surprises in small samples), but it really might be the year when hockey followed Murphy’s Law.
On the other hand, one illogical argument is falling to pieces: that Alex Ovechkin isn’t “clutch.” It was a pretty silly argument considering his career numbers already, but for some, you’re a failure if you don’t win in the playoffs regardless of context. Their arguments keep getting harder to make, however, and this video montage – which is as impressive for the scoring chances that didn’t amount to scores as the one that did – might do the trick for intangible buffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You think Ovechkin wanted this 2-1 win?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)