May 9, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
For believers in things like “reason” and “logic,” the 2012 NHL playoffs have been a cruel beast. It’s not the only upset-laden summer in recent years (hockey is a sport with limited scoring, lending itself to surprises in small samples), but it really might be the year when hockey followed Murphy’s Law.
On the other hand, one illogical argument is falling to pieces: that Alex Ovechkin isn’t “clutch.” It was a pretty silly argument considering his career numbers already, but for some, you’re a failure if you don’t win in the playoffs regardless of context. Their arguments keep getting harder to make, however, and this video montage – which is as impressive for the scoring chances that didn’t amount to scores as the one that did – might do the trick for intangible buffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You think Ovechkin wanted this 2-1 win?
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)