May 9, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
For believers in things like “reason” and “logic,” the 2012 NHL playoffs have been a cruel beast. It’s not the only upset-laden summer in recent years (hockey is a sport with limited scoring, lending itself to surprises in small samples), but it really might be the year when hockey followed Murphy’s Law.
On the other hand, one illogical argument is falling to pieces: that Alex Ovechkin isn’t “clutch.” It was a pretty silly argument considering his career numbers already, but for some, you’re a failure if you don’t win in the playoffs regardless of context. Their arguments keep getting harder to make, however, and this video montage – which is as impressive for the scoring chances that didn’t amount to scores as the one that did – might do the trick for intangible buffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
You think Ovechkin wanted this 2-1 win?
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (55)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)