May 9, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The playoffs turned out to be a pretty rough time for Ilya Bryzgalov. He wasn’t exactly stellar in goal and his gaffe in Game 5 was the ultimate highlight (low-light?) for how bad things were for Philly in the second round.
With the playoffs over that usually means getting a call from your home country to play in the World Championships. As Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports, however, that invitation won’t be coming any time soon for Bryzgalov.
Chesnokov reports according to Vladislav Tretiak, Team Russia will be sticking by Semyon Varlamov and Konstantin Barulin at Worlds. It’s not a totally cold cut-off for Bryzgalov as they’ll at least give Bryzgalov a phone call to show him respect for their decision.
While we’re sure Bryzgalov would love to try and help Russia win gold at Worlds, after playing a full regular season and two rounds of playoffs, Bryzgalov could sure use a vacation. Let’s just hope he can steer clear of the woods where bears might be lurking to take him out.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)