May 9, 2012, 1:22 PM EST
The playoffs turned out to be a pretty rough time for Ilya Bryzgalov. He wasn’t exactly stellar in goal and his gaffe in Game 5 was the ultimate highlight (low-light?) for how bad things were for Philly in the second round.
With the playoffs over that usually means getting a call from your home country to play in the World Championships. As Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports, however, that invitation won’t be coming any time soon for Bryzgalov.
Chesnokov reports according to Vladislav Tretiak, Team Russia will be sticking by Semyon Varlamov and Konstantin Barulin at Worlds. It’s not a totally cold cut-off for Bryzgalov as they’ll at least give Bryzgalov a phone call to show him respect for their decision.
While we’re sure Bryzgalov would love to try and help Russia win gold at Worlds, after playing a full regular season and two rounds of playoffs, Bryzgalov could sure use a vacation. Let’s just hope he can steer clear of the woods where bears might be lurking to take him out.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2