May 9, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The playoffs turned out to be a pretty rough time for Ilya Bryzgalov. He wasn’t exactly stellar in goal and his gaffe in Game 5 was the ultimate highlight (low-light?) for how bad things were for Philly in the second round.
With the playoffs over that usually means getting a call from your home country to play in the World Championships. As Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports, however, that invitation won’t be coming any time soon for Bryzgalov.
Chesnokov reports according to Vladislav Tretiak, Team Russia will be sticking by Semyon Varlamov and Konstantin Barulin at Worlds. It’s not a totally cold cut-off for Bryzgalov as they’ll at least give Bryzgalov a phone call to show him respect for their decision.
While we’re sure Bryzgalov would love to try and help Russia win gold at Worlds, after playing a full regular season and two rounds of playoffs, Bryzgalov could sure use a vacation. Let’s just hope he can steer clear of the woods where bears might be lurking to take him out.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)