May 9, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
The playoffs turned out to be a pretty rough time for Ilya Bryzgalov. He wasn’t exactly stellar in goal and his gaffe in Game 5 was the ultimate highlight (low-light?) for how bad things were for Philly in the second round.
With the playoffs over that usually means getting a call from your home country to play in the World Championships. As Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports, however, that invitation won’t be coming any time soon for Bryzgalov.
Chesnokov reports according to Vladislav Tretiak, Team Russia will be sticking by Semyon Varlamov and Konstantin Barulin at Worlds. It’s not a totally cold cut-off for Bryzgalov as they’ll at least give Bryzgalov a phone call to show him respect for their decision.
While we’re sure Bryzgalov would love to try and help Russia win gold at Worlds, after playing a full regular season and two rounds of playoffs, Bryzgalov could sure use a vacation. Let’s just hope he can steer clear of the woods where bears might be lurking to take him out.
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 0
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 13
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 22
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)