May 9, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
“I could feel something wrong,” Pietrangelo told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I went off and they re-evaluated it and realized there was more of an issue than I originally thought.”
While the Blues defenseman praised the training staff for getting him back into the mix — he only missed Game 2 and said he “got back to pretty good health,” — he clearly wasn’t his usual self.
Pietrangelo had just one assist and a minus-4 rating after the injury and was on the ice for six of L.A.’s seven goals in the final two contests.
St. Louis head coach Ken Hitchcock acknowledged Pietrangelo was hurting, but loaded him up with playing time anyway. “Petro” played 28:44 in the fourth and deciding game, the most of any player on either team (the next closest was fellow St. Louis defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, who played five minutes less.)
“Playing at this time of year, my attitude is if you’re in, you’re in,” he said. “Now you might be in at 60 percent or 70 percent, like a guy like Petro was, but you’re still in the lineup.
“I’ve always felt that with certain players, 70 percent of the player is better than anybody you could put in. I think we proved that with Petro.”
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)