May 9, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Jay Beagle, that is.
Dark clouds formed over Washington during this morning’s skate when Dale Hunter’s most valuable checking forward was the only Capitals player not on the ice.
Not to worry though – “He’s fine,” said Hunter, as per Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times. “I’m just resting his legs. No, no, he’s fine, he’s gonna play.”
In a related story, remember when Beagle was best known for getting knocked out by Arron Asham?
Or, if not that, for having the last name Beagle?
Now he’s being held out of morning skates prior to huge games to rest his legs.
The undrafted 26-year-old has averaged 18:26 per game during the playoffs, only slightly less than Alex Ovechkin’s 20:09.
Beagle (aka bizarro Ovechkin) has done a great job in the role he’s been asked to play. Consider: Only four goals have been scored by an opponent when he’s been on the ice, and two of them were while the Caps were shorthanded.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)