May 9, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Jay Beagle, that is.
Dark clouds formed over Washington during this morning’s skate when Dale Hunter’s most valuable checking forward was the only Capitals player not on the ice.
Not to worry though – “He’s fine,” said Hunter, as per Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times. “I’m just resting his legs. No, no, he’s fine, he’s gonna play.”
In a related story, remember when Beagle was best known for getting knocked out by Arron Asham?
Or, if not that, for having the last name Beagle?
Now he’s being held out of morning skates prior to huge games to rest his legs.
The undrafted 26-year-old has averaged 18:26 per game during the playoffs, only slightly less than Alex Ovechkin’s 20:09.
Beagle (aka bizarro Ovechkin) has done a great job in the role he’s been asked to play. Consider: Only four goals have been scored by an opponent when he’s been on the ice, and two of them were while the Caps were shorthanded.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)