May 9, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
To some extent, the New York Rangers made it kind of easy for Braden Holtby to look like a star tonight. The Washington Capitals’ upstart goalie made 30 saves, but many of them came from less dangerous areas and/or without traffic in front of him. That shouldn’t take too much away from Holtby’s poised performance, though.
Holtby’s individual numbers mean more to nerds like me than most of you, so chew on this great stat from Jeff Giordat: Holtby is now 9-0 after losses this season.
Here are some other interesting stats to chew on regarding Game 6, Game 7 and the series in general:
- Alex Ovechkin scored his 30th career playoff goal, tying him for first all-time in Capitals franchise history with Petr Bondra. Gosh, Ovechkin is such a choker.
- The Ovechkin Era Capitals is 2-0 in playoff series against the Henrik Lundqvist-fueled New York Rangers. Washington won the two teams’ Game 7 at home.
- It’ll be a bigger challenge for a wide variety of reasons, but most interestingly: Giordat points out that the Rangers are 4-0 all-time in Game 7’s at Madison Square Garden.
The most depressing stat? No hockey games until Saturday night. Fear not, though, because we’ll be here to pump you full of banter, stats and whimsy.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)