May 9, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
To some extent, the New York Rangers made it kind of easy for Braden Holtby to look like a star tonight. The Washington Capitals’ upstart goalie made 30 saves, but many of them came from less dangerous areas and/or without traffic in front of him. That shouldn’t take too much away from Holtby’s poised performance, though.
Holtby’s individual numbers mean more to nerds like me than most of you, so chew on this great stat from Jeff Giordat: Holtby is now 9-0 after losses this season.
Here are some other interesting stats to chew on regarding Game 6, Game 7 and the series in general:
- Alex Ovechkin scored his 30th career playoff goal, tying him for first all-time in Capitals franchise history with Petr Bondra. Gosh, Ovechkin is such a choker.
- The Ovechkin Era Capitals is 2-0 in playoff series against the Henrik Lundqvist-fueled New York Rangers. Washington won the two teams’ Game 7 at home.
- It’ll be a bigger challenge for a wide variety of reasons, but most interestingly: Giordat points out that the Rangers are 4-0 all-time in Game 7′s at Madison Square Garden.
The most depressing stat? No hockey games until Saturday night. Fear not, though, because we’ll be here to pump you full of banter, stats and whimsy.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks