May 9, 2012, 11:58 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t very happy about the New York Rangers’ collective effort in Game 6, telling Andrew Gross that “we were pretty far from where we have to be to win a game like this.” Despite that setback, the all-world goalie seems pretty confident about his chances against the Washington Capitals in Game 7 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, as he told Katie Strang.
“We’ve done it before and we know how to do it,” Lundqvist said.
That’s true; the Rangers took down the Ottawa Senators at home in a spirited Game 7 in round one. The “how” part is pretty simple: with the possible exception of Lundqvist, the Rangers basically need to produce the exact opposite of their Game 6 effort.
So far, New York’s best work has come with its backs against the wall, so maybe Hank is right. (Also on the Rangers’ side is the fact that the team is 4-0 in franchise history during Game 7 matches at Madison Square Garden.)
On the other hand, the Capitals won a Game 7 of their own against the No. 2 seed Boston Bruins and defeated Lundqvist’s Rangers in a Game 7 in 2009. The Capitals also booted New York out of the playoffs last year.
In other words, history won’t repeat itself one way or another on Saturday. We’ll find out soon enough if that’s a good thing for Lundqvist and the Rangers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)