May 9, 2012, 11:58 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t very happy about the New York Rangers’ collective effort in Game 6, telling Andrew Gross that “we were pretty far from where we have to be to win a game like this.” Despite that setback, the all-world goalie seems pretty confident about his chances against the Washington Capitals in Game 7 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, as he told Katie Strang.
“We’ve done it before and we know how to do it,” Lundqvist said.
That’s true; the Rangers took down the Ottawa Senators at home in a spirited Game 7 in round one. The “how” part is pretty simple: with the possible exception of Lundqvist, the Rangers basically need to produce the exact opposite of their Game 6 effort.
So far, New York’s best work has come with its backs against the wall, so maybe Hank is right. (Also on the Rangers’ side is the fact that the team is 4-0 in franchise history during Game 7 matches at Madison Square Garden.)
On the other hand, the Capitals won a Game 7 of their own against the No. 2 seed Boston Bruins and defeated Lundqvist’s Rangers in a Game 7 in 2009. The Capitals also booted New York out of the playoffs last year.
In other words, history won’t repeat itself one way or another on Saturday. We’ll find out soon enough if that’s a good thing for Lundqvist and the Rangers.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)