May 9, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
To follow up on yesterday’s report that the NHL Board of Governors had approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman, the NHL Board of Governors has approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman.
The purchase from outgoing owner Dave Checkett also includes the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen, the lease to Scottrade Center and a percentage of the Peabody Opera House (where you can get “Back in the High Life Again” with Steve Winwood on May 15.)
Stillman’s been a minority owner since 2007.
Here’s part of his bio from the Blues’ website:
Mr. Stillman is chairman and CEO of Summit Distributing, a St. Louis-based beer distributor. He got into the beer business in 1994 with the acquisition of a local wholesaler. Summit is now the second largest beer distributor in Missouri.
Mr. Stillman is a former lawyer and from 1988 to 1992, he was with the U.S. Department of Commerce, in Washington, D.C., where he was Chief Counsel for Export Administration, responsible for legal aspects of national security-based controls on sensitive exports.
Sounds like he works a lot.
A press conference to formally announce the sale could occur tomorrow.
According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Stillman’s group of investors includes “familiar St. Louis names such as former U.S. Sen. Jack Danforth, Luxco CEO Donn Lux, Maritz Inc. CEO Steve Maritz and St. Louis sports surgeon and investor Dr. Richard Lehman. Also in the group is the Taylor family, who control car rental company Enterprise Holdings. Enterprise is the largest privately held company in St. Louis and reported $14.1 billion in revenue in its fiscal 2011.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car