May 9, 2012, 3:13 PM EST
To follow up on yesterday’s report that the NHL Board of Governors had approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman, the NHL Board of Governors has approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman.
The purchase from outgoing owner Dave Checkett also includes the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen, the lease to Scottrade Center and a percentage of the Peabody Opera House (where you can get “Back in the High Life Again” with Steve Winwood on May 15.)
Stillman’s been a minority owner since 2007.
Here’s part of his bio from the Blues’ website:
Mr. Stillman is chairman and CEO of Summit Distributing, a St. Louis-based beer distributor. He got into the beer business in 1994 with the acquisition of a local wholesaler. Summit is now the second largest beer distributor in Missouri.
Mr. Stillman is a former lawyer and from 1988 to 1992, he was with the U.S. Department of Commerce, in Washington, D.C., where he was Chief Counsel for Export Administration, responsible for legal aspects of national security-based controls on sensitive exports.
Sounds like he works a lot.
A press conference to formally announce the sale could occur tomorrow.
According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Stillman’s group of investors includes “familiar St. Louis names such as former U.S. Sen. Jack Danforth, Luxco CEO Donn Lux, Maritz Inc. CEO Steve Maritz and St. Louis sports surgeon and investor Dr. Richard Lehman. Also in the group is the Taylor family, who control car rental company Enterprise Holdings. Enterprise is the largest privately held company in St. Louis and reported $14.1 billion in revenue in its fiscal 2011.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 10
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 28
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 45
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)