May 9, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
To follow up on yesterday’s report that the NHL Board of Governors had approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman, the NHL Board of Governors has approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman.
The purchase from outgoing owner Dave Checkett also includes the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen, the lease to Scottrade Center and a percentage of the Peabody Opera House (where you can get “Back in the High Life Again” with Steve Winwood on May 15.)
Stillman’s been a minority owner since 2007.
Here’s part of his bio from the Blues’ website:
Mr. Stillman is chairman and CEO of Summit Distributing, a St. Louis-based beer distributor. He got into the beer business in 1994 with the acquisition of a local wholesaler. Summit is now the second largest beer distributor in Missouri.
Mr. Stillman is a former lawyer and from 1988 to 1992, he was with the U.S. Department of Commerce, in Washington, D.C., where he was Chief Counsel for Export Administration, responsible for legal aspects of national security-based controls on sensitive exports.
Sounds like he works a lot.
A press conference to formally announce the sale could occur tomorrow.
According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Stillman’s group of investors includes “familiar St. Louis names such as former U.S. Sen. Jack Danforth, Luxco CEO Donn Lux, Maritz Inc. CEO Steve Maritz and St. Louis sports surgeon and investor Dr. Richard Lehman. Also in the group is the Taylor family, who control car rental company Enterprise Holdings. Enterprise is the largest privately held company in St. Louis and reported $14.1 billion in revenue in its fiscal 2011.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)