May 9, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
To follow up on yesterday’s report that the NHL Board of Governors had approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman, the NHL Board of Governors has approved the sale of the St. Louis Blues to a group headed by Tom Stillman.
The purchase from outgoing owner Dave Checkett also includes the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen, the lease to Scottrade Center and a percentage of the Peabody Opera House (where you can get “Back in the High Life Again” with Steve Winwood on May 15.)
Stillman’s been a minority owner since 2007.
Here’s part of his bio from the Blues’ website:
Mr. Stillman is chairman and CEO of Summit Distributing, a St. Louis-based beer distributor. He got into the beer business in 1994 with the acquisition of a local wholesaler. Summit is now the second largest beer distributor in Missouri.
Mr. Stillman is a former lawyer and from 1988 to 1992, he was with the U.S. Department of Commerce, in Washington, D.C., where he was Chief Counsel for Export Administration, responsible for legal aspects of national security-based controls on sensitive exports.
Sounds like he works a lot.
A press conference to formally announce the sale could occur tomorrow.
According to the St. Louis Business Journal, Stillman’s group of investors includes “familiar St. Louis names such as former U.S. Sen. Jack Danforth, Luxco CEO Donn Lux, Maritz Inc. CEO Steve Maritz and St. Louis sports surgeon and investor Dr. Richard Lehman. Also in the group is the Taylor family, who control car rental company Enterprise Holdings. Enterprise is the largest privately held company in St. Louis and reported $14.1 billion in revenue in its fiscal 2011.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)