May 9, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella’s press conferences have become a thing of considerable amusement, from their Cliff Notes lengths to the awkward tension in the air. After a notably flat performance from his team in a 2-1 Game 6 loss, one expected another bitter one – and Torts didn’t disappoint.
Really, his assessment of the Rangers’ unproductive power play following another high-sticking minor probably captured his mood for the game as whole.
“It sucked,” Tortorella said. “It kills you. It sucks.”
When asked about Derek Stepan‘s performance, Tortorella briskly declined to discuss any single player’s work. He simply said “No” when asked if the Rangers generated the right kind of effort in Game 6. Perhaps most memorably, he harshly responded to a strategy question from Pat Leonard by saying “Stop coaching, Pat.”
Ultimately, words can only do much to capture the uncomfortable glory of this press conference, so check out video of the full (and short) bit below.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)