May 9, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella’s press conferences have become a thing of considerable amusement, from their Cliff Notes lengths to the awkward tension in the air. After a notably flat performance from his team in a 2-1 Game 6 loss, one expected another bitter one – and Torts didn’t disappoint.
Really, his assessment of the Rangers’ unproductive power play following another high-sticking minor probably captured his mood for the game as whole.
“It sucked,” Tortorella said. “It kills you. It sucks.”
When asked about Derek Stepan‘s performance, Tortorella briskly declined to discuss any single player’s work. He simply said “No” when asked if the Rangers generated the right kind of effort in Game 6. Perhaps most memorably, he harshly responded to a strategy question from Pat Leonard by saying “Stop coaching, Pat.”
Ultimately, words can only do much to capture the uncomfortable glory of this press conference, so check out video of the full (and short) bit below.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)