May 9, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
A recap of Ilya Bryzgalov-inspired quotes after the Philadelphia Flyers lost 3-1 in the fifth and deciding game of their Eastern Conference semifinal against New Jersey.
Specifically, the goal he banked in off Devils forward David Clarkson:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
“And so, this is how it ends, one of those only-in-Philadelphia nights. It is a story that we pass down through the hockey generations, like baldness. The Flyers lost a playoff series to the New Jersey Devils and this will be the enduring symbol from the final game…
“Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, trying to shoot a puck away from the front of his net, away to safety, instead seeing the puck picked out of the air by Devils forward David Clarkson and ricocheting behind him and into the goal.
“It was impossible, and it happened.”
“Saying Bryz’s latest meltdown was just a mistake, however, misses to capture how frightfully inconsistent he has played all season, except for a stretch in March where he was good enough to be named the NHL Player of the Month.”
“It’s right up there with a goal from beyond center ice by Minnesota’s Barry Gibbs that gave the North Stars a 1-0 season-ending win and cost the Flyers a 1970 playoff berth. Goalie Bernie Parent lost the puck in the sun that was coming through the Spectrum windows, and he was playing for Toronto the next season.
“There was a gut-wrenching tally by Buffalo’s Gerry Meehan with four seconds left in the final game of the 1971-72 regular season, knocking the Flyers out of the playoffs. Meehan’s 80-footer somehow eluded goalie Doug Favell.
“The Goal Heard ‘Round South Philly on Tuesday was right up there with the Patrick Kane score than got past the Flyers’ Michael Leighton and gave Chicago an overtime win and the Stanley Cup in Game 6 of the 2010 Finals.”
“Up to that point, Bryzgalov had not been the Flyers’ biggest problem. That changed with one awful play. The gaffe was so big, so significant that the stat sheet should have credited Bryzgalov with the goal, or at least the assist.
“It will haunt them for a long time.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39