May 9, 2012, 10:11 PM EST
For the second straight time, the Washington Capitals seemingly shrugged off a brutal overtime loss and took it to the New York Rangers. This time around, an inspired Capitals overwhelmed a Rangers team in a game that had a deceptively close 2-1 score. With that, both teams will be pushed to a Game 7 for a second series, which will take place at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get talking.
- Alex Ovechkin now has 30 goals in just 50 career playoff games. How stupid on a scale of 1-10 do those already-dumb “clutch” critiques look now? I’d say 30.
- Braden Holtby was robbed off a shutout, but he was a brick wall, letting up fewer and fewer rebounds especially as the game went on. Can he best Henrik Lundqvist in Game 7?
- As great as Holtby looked, his 30-save performance wasn’t as magnificent as it looked on paper because New York barely showed up for most of the contest. Will the Rangers regret their tepid Game 6 efforts?
- Speaking of which, the Rangers barely squeezed out a quarterfinals win against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators and will go to the max against the seventh seed Capitals too. Is anyone a little disappointed with a team that seemingly went from “scrappy upstarts” to “legitimate contenders” this season?
- OK, the obvious one: who do you have in Game 7? Is all the pressure on the Rangers?
- Finally: is Joel Ward exonerated from “goat status” or do the Capitals need a series win to wipe that clean?
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)