May 9, 2012, 10:11 PM EST
For the second straight time, the Washington Capitals seemingly shrugged off a brutal overtime loss and took it to the New York Rangers. This time around, an inspired Capitals overwhelmed a Rangers team in a game that had a deceptively close 2-1 score. With that, both teams will be pushed to a Game 7 for a second series, which will take place at Madison Square Garden on Saturday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get talking.
- Alex Ovechkin now has 30 goals in just 50 career playoff games. How stupid on a scale of 1-10 do those already-dumb “clutch” critiques look now? I’d say 30.
- Braden Holtby was robbed off a shutout, but he was a brick wall, letting up fewer and fewer rebounds especially as the game went on. Can he best Henrik Lundqvist in Game 7?
- As great as Holtby looked, his 30-save performance wasn’t as magnificent as it looked on paper because New York barely showed up for most of the contest. Will the Rangers regret their tepid Game 6 efforts?
- Speaking of which, the Rangers barely squeezed out a quarterfinals win against the eighth seed Ottawa Senators and will go to the max against the seventh seed Capitals too. Is anyone a little disappointed with a team that seemingly went from “scrappy upstarts” to “legitimate contenders” this season?
- OK, the obvious one: who do you have in Game 7? Is all the pressure on the Rangers?
- Finally: is Joel Ward exonerated from “goat status” or do the Capitals need a series win to wipe that clean?
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)