May 9, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
After watching the New York Rangers tie and win Game 5 from the sin bin, Joel Ward is ready for Game 6.
“I get a chance to redeem myself,” Ward told NBC Washington after Wednesday’s game-day skate. “I look forward to the challenge and helping the team win.”
Much has been made of the high sticking double minor Ward took on New York’s Carl Hagelin on Monday. It not only paved the way for Brad Richards‘ equalizer and Marc Staal‘s OT winner, but it set off another round of racist tweets directed his way.
As you’d expect, several of Ward’s teammates have jumped to his defense, pointing out that 1) the penalty was accidental, not a lapse in judgement and 2) it could’ve happened to any Capital.
“It was just a hard-working accident is what it was,” Matt Hendricks said. “If it wasn’t for Wardo, we wouldn’t be where we are right now anyway. These things happen. It could happen to anybody in this room.”
As for Ward’s redemption, he’s certainly got the resume for potential heroics. He lead the Predators in goals last playoffs (seven) while finishing ninth overall — tied with Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler, who played 13 more games.
He also scored one of the biggest goals in Capitals history in Round 1, a Game 7 OT winner that eliminated the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)