May 9, 2012, 4:41 PM EDT
After watching the New York Rangers tie and win Game 5 from the sin bin, Joel Ward is ready for Game 6.
“I get a chance to redeem myself,” Ward told NBC Washington after Wednesday’s game-day skate. “I look forward to the challenge and helping the team win.”
Much has been made of the high sticking double minor Ward took on New York’s Carl Hagelin on Monday. It not only paved the way for Brad Richards‘ equalizer and Marc Staal‘s OT winner, but it set off another round of racist tweets directed his way.
As you’d expect, several of Ward’s teammates have jumped to his defense, pointing out that 1) the penalty was accidental, not a lapse in judgement and 2) it could’ve happened to any Capital.
“It was just a hard-working accident is what it was,” Matt Hendricks said. “If it wasn’t for Wardo, we wouldn’t be where we are right now anyway. These things happen. It could happen to anybody in this room.”
As for Ward’s redemption, he’s certainly got the resume for potential heroics. He lead the Predators in goals last playoffs (seven) while finishing ninth overall — tied with Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler, who played 13 more games.
He also scored one of the biggest goals in Capitals history in Round 1, a Game 7 OT winner that eliminated the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)