May 8, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Mike Smith came so close to being one of the rare goaltenders to score on an empty net during a playoff game. You can check out his efforts below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
He has to be disappointed about that one, but maybe Smith can take some small comfort in the fact that he made 32 saves on Monday to lead the Phoenix Coyotes to the Western Conference Finals.
Smith will face Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick in the next round in what promises to be an intense goaltending duel.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5