May 8, 2012, 1:46 AM EDT
Mike Smith came so close to being one of the rare goaltenders to score on an empty net during a playoff game. You can check out his efforts below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
He has to be disappointed about that one, but maybe Smith can take some small comfort in the fact that he made 32 saves on Monday to lead the Phoenix Coyotes to the Western Conference Finals.
Smith will face Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick in the next round in what promises to be an intense goaltending duel.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)