May 8, 2012, 9:18 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils-Philadelphia Flyers’ recent rivalry has been painted by the nastiness of some huge hits, with Scott Stevens’ infamous check on Eric Lindros being the classic example. The two squads are a little different these days, but Game 5 featured a bunch of nastiness. It all seemed to start with Anton Volchenkov‘s walloping (and clean) hit on Brayden Schenn.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That encouraged a (seemingly/relatively) clean retaliatory hit from Zac Rinaldo on Volchenkov.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
We’re just now in the second intermission of a greasy Game 5 with the Devils up 2-1. It seems like Philly is getting frustrated, so the physical play should be something to watch in the final frame – whether it’s the last period of the Flyers’ turbulent season or not.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32