May 8, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils-Philadelphia Flyers’ recent rivalry has been painted by the nastiness of some huge hits, with Scott Stevens’ infamous check on Eric Lindros being the classic example. The two squads are a little different these days, but Game 5 featured a bunch of nastiness. It all seemed to start with Anton Volchenkov‘s walloping (and clean) hit on Brayden Schenn.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That encouraged a (seemingly/relatively) clean retaliatory hit from Zac Rinaldo on Volchenkov.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
We’re just now in the second intermission of a greasy Game 5 with the Devils up 2-1. It seems like Philly is getting frustrated, so the physical play should be something to watch in the final frame – whether it’s the last period of the Flyers’ turbulent season or not.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)