May 8, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils-Philadelphia Flyers’ recent rivalry has been painted by the nastiness of some huge hits, with Scott Stevens’ infamous check on Eric Lindros being the classic example. The two squads are a little different these days, but Game 5 featured a bunch of nastiness. It all seemed to start with Anton Volchenkov‘s walloping (and clean) hit on Brayden Schenn.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That encouraged a (seemingly/relatively) clean retaliatory hit from Zac Rinaldo on Volchenkov.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
We’re just now in the second intermission of a greasy Game 5 with the Devils up 2-1. It seems like Philly is getting frustrated, so the physical play should be something to watch in the final frame – whether it’s the last period of the Flyers’ turbulent season or not.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25