May 8, 2012, 9:18 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils-Philadelphia Flyers’ recent rivalry has been painted by the nastiness of some huge hits, with Scott Stevens’ infamous check on Eric Lindros being the classic example. The two squads are a little different these days, but Game 5 featured a bunch of nastiness. It all seemed to start with Anton Volchenkov‘s walloping (and clean) hit on Brayden Schenn.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That encouraged a (seemingly/relatively) clean retaliatory hit from Zac Rinaldo on Volchenkov.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos! This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
We’re just now in the second intermission of a greasy Game 5 with the Devils up 2-1. It seems like Philly is getting frustrated, so the physical play should be something to watch in the final frame – whether it’s the last period of the Flyers’ turbulent season or not.
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 32
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 14
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)