May 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
For the second straight year, Ryan Kesler has undergone major offseason surgery.
That’s the news out of Vancouver today as the Canucks announced the former Selke Trophy winner had successful shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum his shoulder.
“After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his shoulder,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis. “We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team’s long term goals.”
Kesler’s recovery is expected to last six months, and it won’t be his first lengthy rehab from injury.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had surgery to repair a labrum issue in his hip, a procedure that sidelined him for all of training camp and the first five games of the regular season. It was widely speculated that Kesler rushed back to action — the original diagnosis for recovery was for up to 12 weeks; he was back playing in 10.
The 27-year-old has been known to try and push through injury. After a season-ending playoff loss to Los Angeles, Kesler admitted he’d played for the final two months with a bad shoulder, perhaps explaining why he failed to score in Vancouver’s 17 final regular season games and all five postseason contests.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights