May 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
For the second straight year, Ryan Kesler has undergone major offseason surgery.
That’s the news out of Vancouver today as the Canucks announced the former Selke Trophy winner had successful shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum his shoulder.
“After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his shoulder,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis. “We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team’s long term goals.”
Kesler’s recovery is expected to last six months, and it won’t be his first lengthy rehab from injury.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had surgery to repair a labrum issue in his hip, a procedure that sidelined him for all of training camp and the first five games of the regular season. It was widely speculated that Kesler rushed back to action — the original diagnosis for recovery was for up to 12 weeks; he was back playing in 10.
The 27-year-old has been known to try and push through injury. After a season-ending playoff loss to Los Angeles, Kesler admitted he’d played for the final two months with a bad shoulder, perhaps explaining why he failed to score in Vancouver’s 17 final regular season games and all five postseason contests.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)