May 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
For the second straight year, Ryan Kesler has undergone major offseason surgery.
That’s the news out of Vancouver today as the Canucks announced the former Selke Trophy winner had successful shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum his shoulder.
“After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his shoulder,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis. “We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team’s long term goals.”
Kesler’s recovery is expected to last six months, and it won’t be his first lengthy rehab from injury.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had surgery to repair a labrum issue in his hip, a procedure that sidelined him for all of training camp and the first five games of the regular season. It was widely speculated that Kesler rushed back to action — the original diagnosis for recovery was for up to 12 weeks; he was back playing in 10.
The 27-year-old has been known to try and push through injury. After a season-ending playoff loss to Los Angeles, Kesler admitted he’d played for the final two months with a bad shoulder, perhaps explaining why he failed to score in Vancouver’s 17 final regular season games and all five postseason contests.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)