May 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
For the second straight year, Ryan Kesler has undergone major offseason surgery.
That’s the news out of Vancouver today as the Canucks announced the former Selke Trophy winner had successful shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum his shoulder.
“After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his shoulder,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis. “We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team’s long term goals.”
Kesler’s recovery is expected to last six months, and it won’t be his first lengthy rehab from injury.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had surgery to repair a labrum issue in his hip, a procedure that sidelined him for all of training camp and the first five games of the regular season. It was widely speculated that Kesler rushed back to action — the original diagnosis for recovery was for up to 12 weeks; he was back playing in 10.
The 27-year-old has been known to try and push through injury. After a season-ending playoff loss to Los Angeles, Kesler admitted he’d played for the final two months with a bad shoulder, perhaps explaining why he failed to score in Vancouver’s 17 final regular season games and all five postseason contests.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)