May 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
For the second straight year, Ryan Kesler has undergone major offseason surgery.
That’s the news out of Vancouver today as the Canucks announced the former Selke Trophy winner had successful shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum his shoulder.
“After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his shoulder,” said Canucks GM Mike Gillis. “We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team’s long term goals.”
Kesler’s recovery is expected to last six months, and it won’t be his first lengthy rehab from injury.
In Aug. 2011, Kesler had surgery to repair a labrum issue in his hip, a procedure that sidelined him for all of training camp and the first five games of the regular season. It was widely speculated that Kesler rushed back to action — the original diagnosis for recovery was for up to 12 weeks; he was back playing in 10.
The 27-year-old has been known to try and push through injury. After a season-ending playoff loss to Los Angeles, Kesler admitted he’d played for the final two months with a bad shoulder, perhaps explaining why he failed to score in Vancouver’s 17 final regular season games and all five postseason contests.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)