May 8, 2012, 1:33 AM EDT
Whether Barry Trotz made the right move or not, many will remember the Nashville Predators’ semifinals defeat to the Phoenix Coyotes as a series where Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov‘s suspensions made the most headlines. Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett didn’t deny that to radio host Willy Daunic.
“We capitalized on our chances,” Tippet said. “We were fortunate that Nashville had a major distraction. That made it harder for them. My opinion was that the distraction was something they had to spend a lot of time thinking about. We just concentrated on winning.”
So, basically, even the Coyotes blame Radulov and Kostitsyn (or at least the distraction around that situation) for Nashville’s woes. At least to an extent. For a coach who has been compared to “Deputy Dog” after losses, Tippett was fascinatingly candid in those remarks.
It’s tough to deny the rumblings when even the opposing coach is highlighting that difference, but do you buy that being the story of the series? Is it possible that this might be a subtle form of false modesty to obscure the fact that maybe – just maybe – the Coyotes were really that much better than the Predators?
Share your own thoughts in the comments.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)