May 8, 2012, 1:33 AM EDT
Whether Barry Trotz made the right move or not, many will remember the Nashville Predators’ semifinals defeat to the Phoenix Coyotes as a series where Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Radulov‘s suspensions made the most headlines. Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett didn’t deny that to radio host Willy Daunic.
“We capitalized on our chances,” Tippet said. “We were fortunate that Nashville had a major distraction. That made it harder for them. My opinion was that the distraction was something they had to spend a lot of time thinking about. We just concentrated on winning.”
So, basically, even the Coyotes blame Radulov and Kostitsyn (or at least the distraction around that situation) for Nashville’s woes. At least to an extent. For a coach who has been compared to “Deputy Dog” after losses, Tippett was fascinatingly candid in those remarks.
It’s tough to deny the rumblings when even the opposing coach is highlighting that difference, but do you buy that being the story of the series? Is it possible that this might be a subtle form of false modesty to obscure the fact that maybe – just maybe – the Coyotes were really that much better than the Predators?
Share your own thoughts in the comments.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 12
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 49
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)