May 8, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
The crushing way the Capitals lost in Game 5 would be enough to test the psyche of anyone. With Game 6 on the way tomorrow night in Washington, it wouldn’t be outrageous to be worried about how rookie goalie Braden Holtby would hold up.
Turns out, no one else in his locker room is too nervous about him. Caps coach Dale Hunter says Holtby is “a resilient kid and a battler” and adding he’ll battle again as well. NHL.com’s Dave Lozo hears it from Karl Alzner about how they’ll do their part as a team to make sure his spirits stay up.
“Just reminding him that he’s playing great,” Alzner said. “There’s nothing really that he can do otherwise. It’s just him continuing to do what he does and we do a better job of burying our chances and keeping them away from the net as much as possible.”
Without Holtby the Caps are likely dead in the water in the playoffs and making sure he stays in a good frame of mind is key. He’s been hard-headed throughout the playoffs, however, and seems unflappable. Washington hopes that will still be the case tomorrow night.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)