May 8, 2012, 8:25 AM EDT
After knocking off Canada in overtime, Team USA was in the driver’s seat to finish high atop Group H at Worlds. Slovakia wasn’t about to hear any of that as they surprised and upended the USA 4-2.
Slovakia used a monster first period effort to make sure Team USA spent the rest of the game trying to catch up scoring three times and leading 3-1 after one. Dominik Granak, Branko Radivojeviic, and Andrej Sekera tallied while goalie Jan Laco turned aside just 18 shots to get the win.
For Team USA, it was a blown opportunity to take control of Group H and they’ve now allowed Canada, Slovakia, and host Finland back into the race for first. Jimmy Howard was under siege in the game having to make 28 saves to keep Team USA in the mix. Meanwhile, Paul Stastny and Justin Faulk scored their only goals.
Coach Scott Gordon said it was just one of those games.
“I thought they won the game in the first period” said Scott Gordon, head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team. “We got better as the game wore on and battled. We get a couple of days rest and need be ready to go on Thursday.”
Team USA will gear up to face Belarus on Thursday. You can see the game live at 9:15 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)