May 8, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership future is still fuzzy, but another surprise Western Conference upstart’s situation looks almost officially settled. Jeremy Rutherford reports that “a source” reveals that the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously approved Tom Stillman’s aim to become the majority owner of the St. Louis Blues. Rutherford reports that a deal will be done as expected on Wednesday as a result.
Ownership changes are sometime volatile enough that many don’t feel comfortable until the ink dries, so in case you want something more official, Rutherford reports that a press conference is planned for Thursday.
Front office changes (such as rumors of Brett Hull and maybe even Keith Tkachuk becoming Blues suits) probably won’t happen until things get settled, according to Rutherford.
Much of the speculation from beat writers is that Stillman doesn’t have Terry Pegula-type deep pockets, but let’s face it; the Blues’ everything-by-committee approach might be their best recipe for success – especially since the majority of their team is young. Do you think St. Louis would be wise just to “improve from within” or did the Los Angeles Kings’ sweep indicate that they need more “star” power?
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)