May 8, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership future is still fuzzy, but another surprise Western Conference upstart’s situation looks almost officially settled. Jeremy Rutherford reports that “a source” reveals that the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously approved Tom Stillman’s aim to become the majority owner of the St. Louis Blues. Rutherford reports that a deal will be done as expected on Wednesday as a result.
Ownership changes are sometime volatile enough that many don’t feel comfortable until the ink dries, so in case you want something more official, Rutherford reports that a press conference is planned for Thursday.
Front office changes (such as rumors of Brett Hull and maybe even Keith Tkachuk becoming Blues suits) probably won’t happen until things get settled, according to Rutherford.
Much of the speculation from beat writers is that Stillman doesn’t have Terry Pegula-type deep pockets, but let’s face it; the Blues’ everything-by-committee approach might be their best recipe for success – especially since the majority of their team is young. Do you think St. Louis would be wise just to “improve from within” or did the Los Angeles Kings’ sweep indicate that they need more “star” power?
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)