May 8, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership future is still fuzzy, but another surprise Western Conference upstart’s situation looks almost officially settled. Jeremy Rutherford reports that “a source” reveals that the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously approved Tom Stillman’s aim to become the majority owner of the St. Louis Blues. Rutherford reports that a deal will be done as expected on Wednesday as a result.
Ownership changes are sometime volatile enough that many don’t feel comfortable until the ink dries, so in case you want something more official, Rutherford reports that a press conference is planned for Thursday.
Front office changes (such as rumors of Brett Hull and maybe even Keith Tkachuk becoming Blues suits) probably won’t happen until things get settled, according to Rutherford.
Much of the speculation from beat writers is that Stillman doesn’t have Terry Pegula-type deep pockets, but let’s face it; the Blues’ everything-by-committee approach might be their best recipe for success – especially since the majority of their team is young. Do you think St. Louis would be wise just to “improve from within” or did the Los Angeles Kings’ sweep indicate that they need more “star” power?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)