May 8, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership future is still fuzzy, but another surprise Western Conference upstart’s situation looks almost officially settled. Jeremy Rutherford reports that “a source” reveals that the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously approved Tom Stillman’s aim to become the majority owner of the St. Louis Blues. Rutherford reports that a deal will be done as expected on Wednesday as a result.
Ownership changes are sometime volatile enough that many don’t feel comfortable until the ink dries, so in case you want something more official, Rutherford reports that a press conference is planned for Thursday.
Front office changes (such as rumors of Brett Hull and maybe even Keith Tkachuk becoming Blues suits) probably won’t happen until things get settled, according to Rutherford.
Much of the speculation from beat writers is that Stillman doesn’t have Terry Pegula-type deep pockets, but let’s face it; the Blues’ everything-by-committee approach might be their best recipe for success – especially since the majority of their team is young. Do you think St. Louis would be wise just to “improve from within” or did the Los Angeles Kings’ sweep indicate that they need more “star” power?
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)