May 8, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership future is still fuzzy, but another surprise Western Conference upstart’s situation looks almost officially settled. Jeremy Rutherford reports that “a source” reveals that the NHL’s Board of Governors unanimously approved Tom Stillman’s aim to become the majority owner of the St. Louis Blues. Rutherford reports that a deal will be done as expected on Wednesday as a result.
Ownership changes are sometime volatile enough that many don’t feel comfortable until the ink dries, so in case you want something more official, Rutherford reports that a press conference is planned for Thursday.
Front office changes (such as rumors of Brett Hull and maybe even Keith Tkachuk becoming Blues suits) probably won’t happen until things get settled, according to Rutherford.
Much of the speculation from beat writers is that Stillman doesn’t have Terry Pegula-type deep pockets, but let’s face it; the Blues’ everything-by-committee approach might be their best recipe for success – especially since the majority of their team is young. Do you think St. Louis would be wise just to “improve from within” or did the Los Angeles Kings’ sweep indicate that they need more “star” power?
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 20
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)