May 8, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
Hockey Expressen interviewed the Tampa Bay defenseman after he underwent major surgery on his left knee. The details of the procedure, from the Tampa Bay Times:
The complicated procedure performed by noted orthopedist Anthony Miniaci will use a thin layer of titanium to resurface the bottom of the femur behind the kneecap. That should create a cushion where cartilage that usually covers the bone has flaked off to such an extent there is painful bone-on-bone rubbing at the patellofemoral joint.
The following are quotes Ohlund gave to Expressen (translated via Google):
“I went through a covered knee surgery ten days ago here in the U.S. that requires half a year of rehabilitation, but it is uncertain if I can come back and play hockey again.
“I’ve got a titanium plate inserted, and a piece of plastic, which lies against one another so that there is no bone on bone. The doctors can not guarantee that it holds for the hockey game at top level”
Ohlund did state that his goal “is to come back and play again,” but that resuming his NHL career “will take a long time.”
The 35-year-old rearguard missed the entire 2011-12 season after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on both knees in October. While the right one has rehabilitated well, the left required this latest procedure, which requires approximately six months of rehab.
Ohlund is three seasons into a seven-year, $25 million deal signed in 2009 — one that carries an annual cap hit of $3.6 million until 2016. In his last full season with Tampa he finish second among all Bolts blueliners in hits and blocked shots and was one of the team’s alternate captains.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)