May 8, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
If you haven’t had your fill of Canadian sportswriters ripping the NHL for fighting to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, here’s another article, this one courtesy Sportsnet’s Michael Grange.
Mostly we’re linking to it for Grange’s reporting on the specifics of the deal to sell the franchise to Greg Jamison that’s expected to be presented (and approved) by city council shortly.
According to long-time Glendale city councilor Phil Lieberman, the terms of the deal being given to Jamison — who has partners, apparently, but wouldn’t name them — basically see him guaranteed $306 million in management fees for Jobing.com Arena over the next 21 years, or an average of $14.6 million a year. A large chunk of that money is front-end loaded, with Glendale on the hook for $92 million over the next five years.
Suffice to say that’s a lot of money for a city with a significant budget shortfall to guarantee.
It’s hard for me to say if it’s a good deal for the people of Glendale — I’m not the treasurer — but Lieberman’s appraisal is clear: “If I had to choose between the Coyotes staying and them leaving, I wish they were leaving.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (46)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)