May 8, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
If you’re wondering why you didn’t hear Alex Ovechkin‘s name a lot during last night’s Game 5, there’s a good reason. While Ovechkin had just over 19 minutes of ice time, he didn’t record a shot on goal. That hasn’t happened in a playoff game since Game 1 of their series against Montreal in 2010.
If this sounds counterproductive to the Caps wont to win games, you’d be right. While they had Game 5 in hand until the closing seconds and overtime, Ovechkin tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com the Caps aren’t out of it yet.
“It’s not over yet,” said Ovechkin, who leads the Caps in goals  and points  through 12 playoff games. “Somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. Unfortunately, it was so close [to victory], but not close enough.”
Ovechkin’s offensive production is solid but it’s clear Washington needs more and not just from him. The Rangers are doing their part to make life miserable on the Caps throwing the same sort of defense back in their face and it’ll take a mix of hard work and creativity to make it happen.
The Caps will hope getting back on home ice can turn the tide in Game 6 tomorrow night and perhaps this time Ovechkin can get a few pucks in on Henrik Lundqvist.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)