May 8, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
If you’re wondering why you didn’t hear Alex Ovechkin‘s name a lot during last night’s Game 5, there’s a good reason. While Ovechkin had just over 19 minutes of ice time, he didn’t record a shot on goal. That hasn’t happened in a playoff game since Game 1 of their series against Montreal in 2010.
If this sounds counterproductive to the Caps wont to win games, you’d be right. While they had Game 5 in hand until the closing seconds and overtime, Ovechkin tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com the Caps aren’t out of it yet.
“It’s not over yet,” said Ovechkin, who leads the Caps in goals  and points  through 12 playoff games. “Somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. Unfortunately, it was so close [to victory], but not close enough.”
Ovechkin’s offensive production is solid but it’s clear Washington needs more and not just from him. The Rangers are doing their part to make life miserable on the Caps throwing the same sort of defense back in their face and it’ll take a mix of hard work and creativity to make it happen.
The Caps will hope getting back on home ice can turn the tide in Game 6 tomorrow night and perhaps this time Ovechkin can get a few pucks in on Henrik Lundqvist.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)