May 8, 2012, 3:06 PM EST
Much criticism and many jokes have been made about Dustin “Pancake” Penner, but it wouldn’t come as a shock if Senators GM Bryan Murray shows interest in the 6-foot-4, 240-pound (on a good day) Los Angeles winger when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The two have a history, and Penner is proving in these playoffs that he still has some game. The native of Winkler, Man. has two goals and five assists in nine post-season games, helping the Kings earn the first berth in the final four.
Some key points of the Penner-Sens correlation:
– After going undrafted out of the University of Maine, Penner was inked to a free agent contract in 2004 by Anaheim’s GM…Bryan Murray.
– In 2006-07, Penner scored 29 goals for Anaheim and eight points in 21 playoff games. The Ducks won the Cup that year by defeating the Senators, who were coached by…Bryan Murray.
– “Don’t forget that in 2009, Murray had Penner included in a package he was getting for Dany Heatley,” Brennan writes. “Before the latter exorcised a clause in his contract and nixed the deal.”
– Penner’s in the final year of a deal that pays $4.5 million annually and will almost certainly be taking a haircut as a UFA. The Sens could have as much as $37 million in available cap space.
Feel free to speculate and/or make IHOP jokes in the comments section.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)