May 8, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Much criticism and many jokes have been made about Dustin “Pancake” Penner, but it wouldn’t come as a shock if Senators GM Bryan Murray shows interest in the 6-foot-4, 240-pound (on a good day) Los Angeles winger when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The two have a history, and Penner is proving in these playoffs that he still has some game. The native of Winkler, Man. has two goals and five assists in nine post-season games, helping the Kings earn the first berth in the final four.
Some key points of the Penner-Sens correlation:
— After going undrafted out of the University of Maine, Penner was inked to a free agent contract in 2004 by Anaheim’s GM…Bryan Murray.
— In 2006-07, Penner scored 29 goals for Anaheim and eight points in 21 playoff games. The Ducks won the Cup that year by defeating the Senators, who were coached by…Bryan Murray.
— “Don’t forget that in 2009, Murray had Penner included in a package he was getting for Dany Heatley,” Brennan writes. “Before the latter exorcised a clause in his contract and nixed the deal.”
— Penner’s in the final year of a deal that pays $4.5 million annually and will almost certainly be taking a haircut as a UFA. The Sens could have as much as $37 million in available cap space.
Feel free to speculate and/or make IHOP jokes in the comments section.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)