May 8, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
Much criticism and many jokes have been made about Dustin “Pancake” Penner, but it wouldn’t come as a shock if Senators GM Bryan Murray shows interest in the 6-foot-4, 240-pound (on a good day) Los Angeles winger when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The two have a history, and Penner is proving in these playoffs that he still has some game. The native of Winkler, Man. has two goals and five assists in nine post-season games, helping the Kings earn the first berth in the final four.
Some key points of the Penner-Sens correlation:
– After going undrafted out of the University of Maine, Penner was inked to a free agent contract in 2004 by Anaheim’s GM…Bryan Murray.
– In 2006-07, Penner scored 29 goals for Anaheim and eight points in 21 playoff games. The Ducks won the Cup that year by defeating the Senators, who were coached by…Bryan Murray.
– “Don’t forget that in 2009, Murray had Penner included in a package he was getting for Dany Heatley,” Brennan writes. “Before the latter exorcised a clause in his contract and nixed the deal.”
– Penner’s in the final year of a deal that pays $4.5 million annually and will almost certainly be taking a haircut as a UFA. The Sens could have as much as $37 million in available cap space.
Feel free to speculate and/or make IHOP jokes in the comments section.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)