May 8, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
Claude Giroux was thinking the same thing a lot of people were thinking after Sunday’s game that saw the Flyers’ star forward receive a two-minute minor for hitting New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus in the head.
“I didn’t think I was going to get suspended,” Giroux told reporters today, as per phillyBurbs.com.
Granted, Giroux recognizes the fact the NHL wants “to get the head hitting out of the game,” and he admits his visible frustration with the referees prior to the hit was “one of the reasons why I had to get suspended.”
On the other hand, “I’ve seen it (the replay). It’s hard to say what’s a suspension or not. Obviously I hit his head with my shoulder. I still don’t think I jumped, my elbow was down. It wasn’t my intention to hit his head.”
The key line is probably this one: “It’s hard to say what’s a suspension or not.”
That’s not necessarily a criticism of league disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan. He’d probably agree with Giroux. With all the variables that have to be considered in each instance, it is hard to say. But somebody has to say it, and Shanahan’s the one.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)