May 8, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Fresh off losing a key player for Game 5, the Flyers look like they’re getting one back.
That’s the news after the morning skate — Philly.com’s Sam Carchidi reports Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros “appears in” for tonight’s elimination contest against New Jersey. The steady rearguard has yet to play in this postseason after undergoing back surgery in late March.
NHL.com’s Adam Kimelman noted that, with defenseman Andreas Lilja skating with the scratches (Pavel Kubina, Jody Shelley), all signs point to Meszaros playing his first game since Mar. 1. Prior to getting hurt, “Mez” was playing over 20 minutes a night and led all Flyers defensemen in goals, with seven.
As for other debuts, Zac Rinaldo figures to get his first look of the series tonight in place of Giroux. The 21-year-old hasn’t played since Game 4 of the Pittsburgh series — a 10-3 loss in which he saw just 3:39 of action — but sounded determined to make a difference with Philly’s season on the line.
“G’s been our best player all year. We owe him one,” Rinaldo told Philly.com. “This one is for him.”
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)