May 8, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers weren’t the offensive locomotive that they were for much of the regular season in Game 5; instead, they were more reminiscent of the team that was once known primarily as a group that bent and broke the rules to get things done. Either way, it didn’t matter because the New Jersey Devils were just flat-out better, finishing their semifinals series in five games with a 3-1 win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How much did it hurt the Flyers to lose Claude Giroux in Game 5? He wasn’t dominant in this series, but Philly’s offense didn’t look dangerous tonight, either.
- Before we get more negative, let’s focus a bit on the Devils’ triumph. First things first: how good are the Devils, really? They faced two relatively unusual teams in Florida and Philly in the playoffs so they’re likely to get a new test in the Eastern Conference finals, whether it’s the Rangers or Capitals.
- Is this run already good enough to keep Zach Parise around?
- Speaking of returning heroes, how much does this help Martin Brodeur‘s chances of coming back? Will it be a mere matter of his choice instead?
- Which team should the Devils hope to face in round three?
- What was the primary reason New Jersey won, in your mind? (There are plenty of choices.)
- How should Flyers fans feel about their future? Ilya Bryzgalov deserves some blame, but not as much as his enormous gaffe might suggest.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)