May 8, 2012, 10:07 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers weren’t the offensive locomotive that they were for much of the regular season in Game 5; instead, they were more reminiscent of the team that was once known primarily as a group that bent and broke the rules to get things done. Either way, it didn’t matter because the New Jersey Devils were just flat-out better, finishing their semifinals series in five games with a 3-1 win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How much did it hurt the Flyers to lose Claude Giroux in Game 5? He wasn’t dominant in this series, but Philly’s offense didn’t look dangerous tonight, either.
- Before we get more negative, let’s focus a bit on the Devils’ triumph. First things first: how good are the Devils, really? They faced two relatively unusual teams in Florida and Philly in the playoffs so they’re likely to get a new test in the Eastern Conference finals, whether it’s the Rangers or Capitals.
- Is this run already good enough to keep Zach Parise around?
- Speaking of returning heroes, how much does this help Martin Brodeur‘s chances of coming back? Will it be a mere matter of his choice instead?
- Which team should the Devils hope to face in round three?
- What was the primary reason New Jersey won, in your mind? (There are plenty of choices.)
- How should Flyers fans feel about their future? Ilya Bryzgalov deserves some blame, but not as much as his enormous gaffe might suggest.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 14
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)