May 8, 2012, 10:07 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers weren’t the offensive locomotive that they were for much of the regular season in Game 5; instead, they were more reminiscent of the team that was once known primarily as a group that bent and broke the rules to get things done. Either way, it didn’t matter because the New Jersey Devils were just flat-out better, finishing their semifinals series in five games with a 3-1 win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How much did it hurt the Flyers to lose Claude Giroux in Game 5? He wasn’t dominant in this series, but Philly’s offense didn’t look dangerous tonight, either.
- Before we get more negative, let’s focus a bit on the Devils’ triumph. First things first: how good are the Devils, really? They faced two relatively unusual teams in Florida and Philly in the playoffs so they’re likely to get a new test in the Eastern Conference finals, whether it’s the Rangers or Capitals.
- Is this run already good enough to keep Zach Parise around?
- Speaking of returning heroes, how much does this help Martin Brodeur‘s chances of coming back? Will it be a mere matter of his choice instead?
- Which team should the Devils hope to face in round three?
- What was the primary reason New Jersey won, in your mind? (There are plenty of choices.)
- How should Flyers fans feel about their future? Ilya Bryzgalov deserves some blame, but not as much as his enormous gaffe might suggest.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)