May 8, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers weren’t the offensive locomotive that they were for much of the regular season in Game 5; instead, they were more reminiscent of the team that was once known primarily as a group that bent and broke the rules to get things done. Either way, it didn’t matter because the New Jersey Devils were just flat-out better, finishing their semifinals series in five games with a 3-1 win.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get to the talking points.
- How much did it hurt the Flyers to lose Claude Giroux in Game 5? He wasn’t dominant in this series, but Philly’s offense didn’t look dangerous tonight, either.
- Before we get more negative, let’s focus a bit on the Devils’ triumph. First things first: how good are the Devils, really? They faced two relatively unusual teams in Florida and Philly in the playoffs so they’re likely to get a new test in the Eastern Conference finals, whether it’s the Rangers or Capitals.
- Is this run already good enough to keep Zach Parise around?
- Speaking of returning heroes, how much does this help Martin Brodeur‘s chances of coming back? Will it be a mere matter of his choice instead?
- Which team should the Devils hope to face in round three?
- What was the primary reason New Jersey won, in your mind? (There are plenty of choices.)
- How should Flyers fans feel about their future? Ilya Bryzgalov deserves some blame, but not as much as his enormous gaffe might suggest.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)