May 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
It’s an age-old question that probably only has subjective answers: is it better to get a big break between series or barely get a chance to catch your breath? The New Jersey Devils beat the Philadelphia Flyers in round two after a quick turnaround, but after a rugged Game 5, they might just root for the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers series to go a full seven games.
The Flyers showed their frustrations with some big hits on Tuesday. Tom Gulitti didn’t receive an update from the Devils on defenseman Marek Zidlicky, who was shaken up by a Wayne Simmonds hit. Dainius Zubrus told Gulitti that he’s suffering from a charley horse thanks to a Zac Rinaldo hit and that he will “probably need treatment on it going forward.” Anton Volchenkov bounced back from another big Rinaldo check, but he was pretty shaken up at the time.
Ilya Kovalchuk also needed to miss a game in this series and while he bounced back with a vengeance, it’s not crazy to think that he might enjoy a moderate siesta.
Then again, the Devils are playing at a high level right now and they did handle the last quick turnaround quite well, so you can make an argument either way. In the grand scheme of things, it might be a matter of player-by-player opinion.
What do you think, though? Would New Jersey be better off if the other East series ends in six or seven? Does it matter at all either way? Do tell.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)