May 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EST
It’s an age-old question that probably only has subjective answers: is it better to get a big break between series or barely get a chance to catch your breath? The New Jersey Devils beat the Philadelphia Flyers in round two after a quick turnaround, but after a rugged Game 5, they might just root for the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers series to go a full seven games.
The Flyers showed their frustrations with some big hits on Tuesday. Tom Gulitti didn’t receive an update from the Devils on defenseman Marek Zidlicky, who was shaken up by a Wayne Simmonds hit. Dainius Zubrus told Gulitti that he’s suffering from a charley horse thanks to a Zac Rinaldo hit and that he will “probably need treatment on it going forward.” Anton Volchenkov bounced back from another big Rinaldo check, but he was pretty shaken up at the time.
Ilya Kovalchuk also needed to miss a game in this series and while he bounced back with a vengeance, it’s not crazy to think that he might enjoy a moderate siesta.
Then again, the Devils are playing at a high level right now and they did handle the last quick turnaround quite well, so you can make an argument either way. In the grand scheme of things, it might be a matter of player-by-player opinion.
What do you think, though? Would New Jersey be better off if the other East series ends in six or seven? Does it matter at all either way? Do tell.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)