Coyotes GM Maloney: “Unlike every other division in the NHL, there are no weak teams in the Pacific”
May 8, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Prior to advancing to the first all-Pacific Western Conference final in league history, Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney took some time to rep his division.
“Unlike every other division in the NHL, there are no weak teams in the Pacific. Look at the two Pacific Division clubs who missed the playoffs: after a poor start to the season, Anaheim had one of the best records in the league for 3-4 months and only faded at the very end of the season. Dallas won 11 games in a row in March and barely missed the postseason.
“You could certainly argue the Atlantic and Central divisions were strong this year. However, top to bottom, you never go into a game against a Pacific Division opponent expecting an easy night, which speaks volumes to the division’s strength and depth.”
Maloney’s got a point…sorta.
Balance was a big part of the Pacific this year. It was the only division to have three 90-plus point teams and none with less than 80, though the Atlantic came awfully close (the Rangers, Pens, Flyers and Devils all were 100-plus and the Isles had 79.)
Of course, head-to-head matchups tell a different story.
Atlantic vs. Pacific this year: 18-8-6
Pacific vs. Atlantic: 14-10-8
Central vs. Pacific this year: 56-39-5
Pacific vs. Central: 44-47-9
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 0
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 24
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 26
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming