May 7, 2012, 7:42 PM EST
Zubrus went down, but was able to stay in the game and, unlike Giroux, he’s expected to play on Tuesday.
Given that Giroux is the leading scorer in the playoffs, we don’t really need to go into detail about how this suspension could hurt the Philadelphia Flyers. However, even before Giroux’s punishment was announced, Zubrus was shrugging off the possibility.
“Honestly, it doesn’t change our preparation for the game either way,” Zubrus said.
That might be true, but it could change the outcome of Tuesday’s contest. The Devils have a commanding 3-1 series lead, but Philadelphia’s Danny Briere knows that they “have to move forward and have to find a way to win.”
In some ways, this parallels Game 4 of the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh first round series. At the time, the Penguins had their backs against the wall and then it was announced that James Neal would be forced to serve a one-game suspension. However, Pittsburgh – like Philadelphia – has no shortage of offensive weapons and they responded with a 10-3 blowout victory.
Of course, given how that series ended for Pittsburgh, that’s probably not the comparison that Flyers’ fans are fishing for right now.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)