May 7, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
Zubrus went down, but was able to stay in the game and, unlike Giroux, he’s expected to play on Tuesday.
Given that Giroux is the leading scorer in the playoffs, we don’t really need to go into detail about how this suspension could hurt the Philadelphia Flyers. However, even before Giroux’s punishment was announced, Zubrus was shrugging off the possibility.
“Honestly, it doesn’t change our preparation for the game either way,” Zubrus said.
That might be true, but it could change the outcome of Tuesday’s contest. The Devils have a commanding 3-1 series lead, but Philadelphia’s Danny Briere knows that they “have to move forward and have to find a way to win.”
In some ways, this parallels Game 4 of the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh first round series. At the time, the Penguins had their backs against the wall and then it was announced that James Neal would be forced to serve a one-game suspension. However, Pittsburgh – like Philadelphia – has no shortage of offensive weapons and they responded with a 10-3 blowout victory.
Of course, given how that series ended for Pittsburgh, that’s probably not the comparison that Flyers’ fans are fishing for right now.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 1
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 3
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)